Tracking iPad inventory in Schools

Krbonus
Contributor

Hello, I'm trying to track down iPads in our school district that are not being used. My 2 criteria are (Last inventory update, 30 days ago) and (150 days ago).

My only problem here is, any iPad that is tagged with those criteria means that they are not connected on WiFi and fails to check in with Jamf and not necessarily that the schools are not using them. We have tons of apps that would work even if not connected on WiFi that's why I'm a little bit paranoid.

We also have a config profile for our WiFi on every iPads on the field but if they let's say turn the iPad on Airplane mode or manually disable WiFi then it would be useless.

Any other suggestions to track iPad inventory on their schools?

I guess the end goal here is we might pull out the ones that are not being used that much so other schools can make good use of it.

Thank you in advance!

3 REPLIES 3

SCADtom
New Contributor III

I went through the same thing a couple of years ago. Assuming you have email accounts in the user record, run the search, click on the Action button, select the email button and bcc to the group. For subject I put "Lost iPad?" and in the body was something like; "The iPad that is assigned to you may be experiencing problems, it is not communicating with our management system. Please visit the tech department..." I did this on a daily basis as we got closer to the end of a school term. Since all staff and students would had access to email with another device, I would get some kind of response from almost everyone on the list.

Krbonus
Contributor

@SCADtom Unfortunately, we do have tied email address on the user records but not signed in on the iPads. They are just generic ones school.1001@domain.com which is not being used.

Thanks for the suggestion though!

SCADtom
New Contributor III

I'll be interested in what solutions others may offer.