Transition from Local to Directory Users

jafuller
Contributor

I'm looking for a way to transfer computers from being stand-alone to be bound to AD. Part of my issue is getting the user directory to map to the AD user UID/GID and not munge up the permissions.

Has anyone gone through this and what steps did you take to make it work?
Thanks!
--
James Fuller | Starbucks Coffee Company | Technology Application Services | Application Developer

3 REPLIES 3

jafuller
Contributor

A little more detail:
We have a number of machines that are currently in use by directory users,
but the machines themselves are not bound. The local users directory is
my main concern. I need that to stay intact. We're not pulling users
directories from the network, nor mapping them via AD. So I need to
transition the permissions of the local user directory
/Users/jsmith(UID:501) to a directory user jsmith(UID:1234).

Does that make sense?

--
James Fuller | Starbucks Coffee Company | Technology Application Services
| Application Developer
E: jafuller at starbucks.com | V: 206.318.7153 | F: 206.318.0155

Not applicable

I've used this script before with success. Granted, that was back in 10.4.

http://blog.macadmincorner.com/migrate-local-user-to-domain-account/#more-352

tlarkin
Honored Contributor

Starting with Leopard Apple put a nice little binary command in the Managed Client.app. See this:

bash-3.2# /System/Library/CoreServices/ManagedClient.app/Contents/Resources/createmobileaccount createmobileaccount built Jul 7 2009 17:17:01 *** error: no arguments

usage: createmobileaccount -n username [-h homepath] [-P | [-p password]] [-e] [-q] [[-x] | [-X]] [[-s] | [-S]] [-u syncURL] [-v] -n username : user record name -h homepath : user home path; Default is "/Users/<username>" -p password : user password -P : prompt for password. A password is required for FileVault home -e encrypt : encrypt new home with FileVault -q quota : max size in bytes of FileVault home -x : create as external account on non-boot volumes. Default -X : create as mobile account account non-boot volumes. -s : set home sync on if home created. -S : set home sync off if home created. Default. -u syncURL : server target of home synchronization -v : verbose output

Examples: createmobileaccount -n jsmith createmobileaccount -v -P -x -n jsmith createmobileaccount -vsdn jsmith -h /Volumes/HD3/jhome createmobileaccount -i

Notes: - createmobileaccount must run as root. - If you do not specify a password, the account's cached password will be created during the account's first log in.

I have never used this personally. However, I think with a small amount of creative scripting and this command you should be able to migrate all local users to mobile users and bind to your AD/OD server.

?xml version="1.0" encoding="ISO-8859-1"?>