Trusting a Certificate

gskibum
Contributor III

Hi all. I thought this one was going to be quite easy but it's turining into a challenge.

A mail hosting organization I work with chaged certificates today and I'm trying to get the new cert installed and trusted.

Using a Mac that has trusted this cert, I exported it as a .cer into /private/tmp/certs and packaged it with Composer. I will call this cert mail.lamehost.com.cer.

I then created a test policy to install this .pkg and then run the script. The policy does install the cert in /private/tmp/certs but the script fails.

#!/bin/sh

/usr/bin/security add-trusted-cert -d -r trustAsRoot -k "/Library/Keychains/System.keychain" "/private/tmp/certs/mail.lamehost.com.cer" srm "/private/tmp/certs/mail.lamehost.com.cer"

I've tried trustRoot as well as trustAsRoot, as well as taking away the quotations marks.

I've also tried removing the /usr/bin before security.

But I keep getting the following error:

Script exit code: 2 Script result: Usage: add-trusted-cert [] [certFile] -d Add to admin cert store; default is user -r resultType resultType = trustRoot|trustAsRoot|deny|unspecified; default is trustRoot -p policy Specify policy constraint (ssl, smime, codeSign, IPSec, iChat, basic, swUpdate, pkgSign, pkinitClient, pkinitServer, eap) -a appPath Specify application constraint -s policyString Specify policy-specific string -e allowedError Specify allowed error (certExpired, hostnameMismatch) or integer -u keyUsage Specify key usage, an integer -k keychain Specify keychain to which cert is added -i settingsFileIn Input trust settings file; default is user domain -o settingsFileOut Output trust settings file; default is user domain -D Add default setting instead of per-cert setting certFile Certificate(s) Add trusted certificate(s). Error running script: return code was 2.

My test Mac I'm using is running El Capitan.

Where have I run astray?

7 REPLIES 7

bentoms
Release Candidate Programs Tester

@gskibum Can you push the cert out via a profile?

jnice22
New Contributor II

I've done this on previous OS's. I'm wondering if SIP is causing an issue?
Can you do it on 10.10?
Can you try the same import into a user keychain instead of the system Keychain?

gskibum
Contributor III

@bentoms I had the same result with another cert that I am able to push with a Configuration Profile (I know the password for this cert).

Maybe I'm wrong, but my understanding is that I would need to know the password that was used to create the cert to push out via a configuration profile. I don't know the password for this mail cert.

However, I changed the script a bit and now I have successfully run this one on the test box:

Credit @andyinindy

His Helpful Post

#!/bin/bash

CERT_PATH="/private/tmp/certs"
SYSTEM_KEYCHAIN="/Library/Keychains/System.keychain"

/usr/bin/security add-trusted-cert -d -r trustAsRoot -k ${SYSTEM_KEYCHAIN} ${CERT_PATH}/mail.lamehost.com.cer
rm -f ${CERT_PATH}/mail.lamehost.com.cer

exit 0

gskibum
Contributor III

Well it seems that Apple Mail won't see this certificate when it's located in System.keychain. When I manually move the certificate to the user's login.keychain Mail does see the cert and it works as being trusted.

How can I target the user level login.keychain with a policy?

gskibum
Contributor III

OK I was mistaken about the certificate not working in System.keychain and instead working in login.keychain,

What is keeping this certificate from working is the trust policy settings:

When I install the cert into System.keychain with the above policy & script the trust settings are all set to Always Trust.

However the mail server won't use the cert with the trust settings configured like this. If I manually install the cert by configuring a mail account the trust settings are set so that only (Secure Sockets Layer SSL) is set to Always Trust. The rest are set to "no value specified."

If I change the certificate that I install with a policy to match the trust settings set to always trust only SSL and the rest set to "no value specified", it works. So it appears I need to modify my script to allow trusting only SSL, but I have been unsuccessful in my attempts.

I'm thinking I need to replace the "-r trustAsRoot" to something like "-p ssl -s trust", but I have been unsuccessful. I probably just don't know what the -s key is supposed to be.

Any thoughts?

This is what is almost working for me.

#!/bin/bash

CERT_PATH="/private/tmp/certs"
SYSTEM_KEYCHAIN="/Library/Keychains/System.keychain"

/usr/bin/security add-trusted-cert -d -p ssl -s trustAsRoot -k ${SYSTEM_KEYCHAIN} ${CERT_PATH}/mail.lamehost.com.cer
rm -f ${CERT_PATH}/mail.lamehost.com.cer

exit 0

ETsavaris
New Contributor III

I know this is quite an older thread, but I was able to get what I needed using simply trustRoot (the default option) or by removing the "-r trustAsRoot" altogether.

Were you able to try using the following for the add-trusted-cert options? 

/usr/bin/security add-trusted-cert -d -p ssl -k ${SYSTEM_KEYCHAIN} ${CERT_PATH}/mail.lamehost.com.cer 

jmartinez0837
New Contributor

did you figure this out?

i just did this same thing but for "EAP"

my command was

/usr/bin/security add-trusted-cert -d -r trustAsRoot -p ssl -k ${SYSTEM_KEYCHAIN} ${CERT_PATH}/mail.lamehost.com.cer

i didnt include the -s portion of the command