Turn OFF Parental Controls

philcebutv
New Contributor III

Is there a way to turn OFF parental controls using a command line.

The target client is on Yosemite. I need to be able to find a way to disable that checkmark under SYstemPreferences -> Accounts -> user f09121fa1c0d4fac80414fe680851c6c

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

philcebutv
New Contributor III

@jhbush1973 We wanted actually to turn it OFF as we don't know what implications it may cause later. Although, the settings enabled are only the limited printing ability and some disabling of dictation, we wanted to ensure that all our user account are clean and no other settings turned ON..

anyways the command below seems to turn it OFF

sudo dscl . -mcxdelete /Users/username
sudo rm -rf /Library/Managed Preferences/username

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

philcebutv
New Contributor III

anyone... been looking how to turn that checkmark OFF using a command line or plist..

philcebutv
New Contributor III

users are on AD accounts and under yosemite...

jhbush
Valued Contributor II

@philcebutv is it actually having any effect on your users? I believe this is enabled by default for managed mobile accounts utilizing Active Directory.

philcebutv
New Contributor III

@jhbush1973 We wanted actually to turn it OFF as we don't know what implications it may cause later. Although, the settings enabled are only the limited printing ability and some disabling of dictation, we wanted to ensure that all our user account are clean and no other settings turned ON..

anyways the command below seems to turn it OFF

sudo dscl . -mcxdelete /Users/username
sudo rm -rf /Library/Managed Preferences/username

jchurch
Contributor II

that works one user at a time, what would be the commands to do it on a machine level, across the board for all users. and so its not turned on for new ones?

merps
Contributor III

@jchurch We're using this "execute command" in a policy when users report issues with parentalcontrolsd cpu usage.

launchctl unload -w /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.apple.familycontrols.plist

Users haven't complained after applying the policy.

jthornton
New Contributor

@merps It looks like that command works, but we're still having to go in and manually uncheck the box. Any suggestions?

EUC600
New Contributor III

I have been fighting an issue where ever since updating some of our machines to High Sierra the application access gets restricted for users through parental controls. It causes an issue where they are unable to access applications when they are away from the network.

We've never had parental controls turned on when running El Capitan. We are trying to update from El Capitan to High Sierra.

If I run the rm -rf /Library/Managed Preferences/username command it does fix the issue but the directory comes back after a reboot. I could have it run at login but ideally I'd really like to know why it started randomly happening.

Has anyone else seen this issue?