Turning off the Automatic Proxy Configuration setting.

jszaszvari
New Contributor III

I can find a way to turn on and off every proxy setting except for the Auto Proxy Config URL.

I want to turn this setting off (Using a manual PAC file) and set it to Auto Discovery.

Turning the Auto Discovery setting on is not a issue, its quite easy. But i cant find a way to turn off the URL setting, Just modify the exisiting URL thats set.

Has anyone done this before?

Thanks

10 REPLIES 10

bentoms
Release Candidate Programs Tester

This is what I use http://macmule.com/2011/09/09/how-to-change-the-automatic-proxy-configuration-url-in-system-preferen...

I checks to see what the value of the URL is, & if it's not what is set @ $4 it changes it to the value of $4.

Paolo
New Contributor

Here you go brother.

https://developer.apple.com/library/mac/#documentation/Darwin/Reference/ManPages/man8/networksetup.8.html

these are AAAAALL helpful.

cheers

jszaszvari
New Contributor III

My issue with network setup is there is no way to turn it off

-setautoproxyurl networkservice url Set proxy auto-config to url for <networkservice> and enable it.

-getautoproxyurl networkservice Displays proxy auto-config (url, enabled) info for <networkservice>.

If you set the URL as blank it still leaves the box ticked under proxy settings.

Other settings can be turned on or off like

-setproxyautodiscovery networkservice on | off

but not this one

Josh_S
Contributor III
Usage: networksetup -setautoproxystate <networkservice> <on off>
    Set proxy auto-config to either <on> or <off>.

One difference. Unchecking the box via the GUI also clears the proxy URL. Turning it off using networksetup will leave the existing proxy URL alone.

jszaszvari
New Contributor III

But you cant turn the URL setting off with networksetup, Only configure the URL.

That setting i posted above is for auto detect without the URL.

There does not appear to be a way to turn the tick box off at all for proxy URL config.

Josh_S
Contributor III

I use this all the time. Un-ticks the box

networksetup -setautoproxystate <networkservice> off

Note: If you have System Preferences open, you will have to close and reopen to update the state. And yes, this is the setting for a proxy.pac URL config.

jszaszvari
New Contributor III

My apologies, you are correct.

This works great on 10.7 and 10.8

Do you know if there is a way to do it on 10.6 clients? That flag does not seem to exist on 10.6 networksetup

Thanks for your help

Josh_S
Contributor III

I'm sorry, I don't. It's been a while since I've managed any 10.6.x machines.

jszaszvari
New Contributor III

|It's been a while since I've managed any 10.6.x machines.

You are a lucky soul... :)

bradtchapman
Valued Contributor II

Bump - I had to use this to get a Mac to finish applying Security Update 2019-003 for 10.13.6 on a 2017 MacBook Pro with Touch Bar / Touch ID (T1 chip). The EmbeddedOSInstallerService was crashing because it failed to make a connection to Apple, even though the Mac was connected to a plain network like my cellular hotspot.

We use auto proxy at work. Only after turning it off on this machine did the update finally verify correctly.

I had to open Terminal using Ctrl-Opt-Cmd-T and run the above commands, and then the update verified successfully.

Thanks for the proxy settings @Josh_S . Apple removed them from the networksetup command reference and its man page a while ago.