Unable to determine current location at this time

JefferyAnderson
Contributor

A couple months ago we started to notice that time zone wasn't getting set automatically on our internal network. This affects all Macs. I verified that when I take my Mac home this is not an issue. So this points to something on our internal network not allowing location services to function. This is also causing a problem with our DEP Enrollment not completing. Jamf support. told me yesterday the reason we are not getting Enrollment Complete is because "jamf binary hangs indefinitely if DEP Timezone or App Diagnostics processes are not completed within 90 to 120 seconds."

So my question is, does anyone have any ideas on where I can point my network team to figure out why our network is not allowing location services to work?
45473afcf91848e4ba059f442908e1c9

9 REPLIES 9

larry_barrett
Valued Contributor

Check your servers time. Could be firewall.

We see this once in a while. Normally, we'll just hit back and let it try again. 100% don't work, or once in a while?

bradylopez
New Contributor

I sit for about 10-15 minutes in the Language selection to allow DEP to kick in! Trust me its a headache trying to get to the Remote Management section! So if there is a quick workaround would be awesome!!

JefferyAnderson
Contributor

@larry_barrett it doesn't work 100% of the time. None of our Macs are able to determine location on our network.

larry_barrett
Valued Contributor

Port 123 open?

JefferyAnderson
Contributor

@larry_barrett Can you explain what port 123 is for?

We don't block any outbound traffic. Only unsolicited inbound traffic.

JefferyAnderson
Contributor

I would like to see documentation on how Location Services works. I've noticed that if I take a Mac down to the side of our building which is across the street from an apartment complex, the Mac is able to determine its location and will set the pin and time zone correctly. Presumably, Location Services is using wifi signals from the wireless routers of all of those apartments to get its location. However as we move back to my part of the building, on the same floor, we lose the ability to get location, again presumably because the Mac can no longer get signal from those other wifi networks.

larry_barrett
Valued Contributor

Port 123 should be the NTP port. If its blocked or re-routed you won't be able to get accurate time.

JefferyAnderson
Contributor

We get accurate time. Just not time zone. Location Services is the issue.

msanchez
New Contributor III

@Jeffery_Anderson did you figure this out at all?