Unable to Erase Mac HD during Imaging

ndudley
Contributor

Hello everyone!

I have been having a bit of a challenge in the last few days with one of my Pre-Stage setups. It will hang at 'Performing Block Copy' and will force quit Imaging - it looks like this is happening when Casper Imaging is trying to erase the target drive. Also, the drive will not unmount and erase when NetBooted, which leaves me to believe there is a problem with the NetBoot Image...

I have checked here for some answers, but nothing has worked so far, not even editing the rc.netboot file and adding a RAMDisk. To be fair, this (the RAMDisk) fix did work prior to updating to 8.63, but doesn't seem to be working anymore. I am really at a loss here, does anyone have any ideas about what might be causing this problem?

Thanks!

EDIT:

Also, when updating the NBI with the RAM Disk fix in the rc.netboot file, I am no longer able to netboot any computers, the computer will immediately shut off. Prior to updating the rc.netboot file, the destination drive was mounted to /private/var/netboot -- could it be because I updated to 8.63?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

ndudley
Contributor

Ok. I figured it out.

I was trying to image a new Mac Mini with the special 12C2034 build, which was incompatible with my Casper Server and what I was using to make the NBIs with. I am now making a separate NBI to work with the Minis and another that will work with the normal 12C3104 build.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

davefrank
New Contributor

On your NetBoot/NetRestore server, verify that the "diskless" checkbox is checked for the image. Otherwise, shadow files will be stored on the local hard drive, preventing it from being unmounted for erasing.

ndudley
Contributor

Sorry, forgot to add that diskless booting is checked, and the shadow files are being stored on the netboot server.

ndudley
Contributor

Ok. I figured it out.

I was trying to image a new Mac Mini with the special 12C2034 build, which was incompatible with my Casper Server and what I was using to make the NBIs with. I am now making a separate NBI to work with the Minis and another that will work with the normal 12C3104 build.

JPittman
New Contributor

I can see this wasn't the same issue/resolution for the posting but just incase anyone ells has the same issue as I did, Dave's solution worked out for me -

Thank you @davefrank the its always the simplest solution isn't it... checking "make this image available for diskless booting" allows me to erase the net-booted system's local HD's now. awesome. I was concerned this was an issue with core-storage scanning the similar posts on my way to this one. Thanks again! totally solved it for me.