Unable to type in the login window after waking from sleep : Sierria 10.12.3?

Digit216
New Contributor

Running into a weird issue where after waking a machine up, I can't type the user name and password is it keeps delete anything I type immediately as I type. Seems to be in Sierra only. Trying to nail down if it's specific to 10.12.3 or not. Cause I'm also testing another machine that has 10.12.3, but it's not enrolled into the JSS at the moment and it's not happening there. Has anyone come across this and know of any reasons why this may be happening?

Been asking around on the Apple forums as well, but it's radio silence over there. Figured I would ask here, cause I'm also trying to nail down if there is something happening between Sierra and our JSS that might be causing an issue. We upgraded our JSS recently to JSS 9.97.1482356336.

Any help with this would be extremely appreciated.

4 REPLIES 4

Digit216
New Contributor

Also seems to be directly related to how we use the fast switching to enter the admin credentials. Like the user who is logged in can enter their password, but when we try to switch to enter the admin name and password, that's when it's doing that weird deleting of anything I type.

Look
Valued Contributor III

Is the machine AD bound?
AD bound machines always delete whatever has been entered in the password field when they manage to get a live network connection (terrible piece of UI design by Apple), perhaps when you are switching user, for whatever reason the machine keeps losing and reaquiring it's connection to the AD servers, thereby repeatedly deleting the password field.
We have lots of 10.12.3 JSS and AD bound machines and other than the behaviour described above we have't had the issue, we also have fast user switching enabled which I use reasonably often.

Digit216
New Contributor

Nope. These machines are not bound to AD.

sbuccola
New Contributor II

Some (including myself) have had luck solving weird login window issues by making sure all of your "Login Window" and "Security & Privacy" settings are located in a single configuration profile. I seem to remember also reading about gremlins related to having the password requirement being set to "immediately" and that you may have better luck setting it to "5 seconds."

Either of these things apply to you? (Multiple configuration policies for these settings or having require password set to immediately)