Uninstall App using JAMF that was installed manually

JAMFNoob
New Contributor III

Is this possible? I need to bulk uninstall an app that was installed manually but not sure if it's possible to do it with JAMF if it was not initially deployed with it?

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

ljcacioppo
Contributor III

It is definitely possible, but depending on the app itself, the process to uninstall may vary depending on what resources it may have installed on the machine

If the app has an uninstaller on the computer, that can be called via a jamf policy as one option. Running a command to just remove the app (like a rm -rf /path/to/application) might work depending on the app as well.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

ljcacioppo
Contributor III

It is definitely possible, but depending on the app itself, the process to uninstall may vary depending on what resources it may have installed on the machine

If the app has an uninstaller on the computer, that can be called via a jamf policy as one option. Running a command to just remove the app (like a rm -rf /path/to/application) might work depending on the app as well.

JAMFNoob
New Contributor III

The app I'm trying to remove is Filemaker Pro v18.0.3 (in order to then install v19). I see it sits as an actual folder in my Applications so I don't only need to remove just the app but all the contents of that folder I'm guessing (there are extensions and FMI Runtime resources within it)

If you want to completely remove the app and all application & preference files it installs, you'll have to dig around to find them all.

If you have it installed on your device (or one you have access to) you can download 'App Cleaner' (source: https://freemacsoft.net/appcleaner/ ) then drop the main /Applications/Filemaker Pro v18.0.3.app on to it and it will locate all the child files.

Make a note of them then add to a script so it looks something like (but obviously dont use this!):

#!/bin/bash

currentUser=$(stat -f%Su /dev/console)

rm "/Applications/Filemaker Pro v18.0.3.app"
rm /Library/Preferences/com.application.FilemakerPro.plist

# user domain
rm -rf "/Users/$currentUser/Library/Application Support/Filemake Pro"