--
Alan Benedict
?
Macintosh Technician
The Integer Group
http://www.integer.com

10 REPLIES 10

Not applicable

I just ran into this on 10.8 - found http://hints.macworld.com/article.php?story=20120116131248157 and tested on 10.8.2 and can confirm that editing those two files, then restarting, allows the old-style screensaver unlock.

That said, as always, if you notice a change in OS that impacts your helpdesk's ability to diagnose and resolve things quickly - in this case, requiring the logged-in user's password - I recommend posting a comment on Apple's feedback page at [www.apple.com/feedback/macosx.html](www.apple.com/feedback/macosx.html).

bbass
Contributor

I know this has been posted before but I couldn't find it using search. In any case, this should work for you:

------

#!/bin/bash

/usr/libexec/PlistBuddy -c 'Set rights:system.login.screensaver:comment "The owner or any administrator can unlock the screensaver."' /etc/authorization

if grep -q "ruser" /etc/pam.d/screensaver
then sed -i.bak '/ruser/ d' /etc/pam.d/screensaver
fi

exit 0

------

nessts
Valued Contributor II

the MacWorld article seems to be correct, at least on 10.8, @bbass solution did not produce results of any use for me.

bbass
Contributor

That's curious since the script does the same thing as the Macworld Hint.

Interestingly, I checked my /etc/authorization and it does not include the "(Use SecurityAgent.)" portion of the string (consistent with the script I posted above) and yet I am still able to unlock the screensaver with any admin user. This leads me to believe that it's the adjustment of the /etc/pam.d/screensaver file that is what does the real work here.

Sorry it didn't work for you but it configured all of the machines in our environment.

bbass
Contributor

Suspicion confirmed. Here is the relevant Apple Doc:

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5145

All you need to do at this point is adjust the /etc/pam.d/screensaver file. It will still work if you also adjust /etc/authorization but it will give you an ugly window versus one that's more consistent with the 10.7 and 10.8 UI.

nessts
Valued Contributor II

you edited a different line in the pam.d/screensaver line, i got no useful results, i will try it again after reading your kb article. thx.

bbass
Contributor

I took the applicable code from above and just tested this and it removes the correct line.

------

#!/bin/bash

if grep -q "ruser" /etc/pam.d/screensaver
then sed -i.bak '/ruser/ d' /etc/pam.d/screensaver
fi

exit 0

------

In the end this is all you should need (along with a logout or reboot). Hope you get it worked out.

nessts
Valued Contributor II

removing the code was not the issue, the issue it was the need to press option return to get the alternate authentication box. At some point i will just start pressing option with everything i do just to see what kind of magic happens.
and yes i can confirm that @bbass solution uses the new bland GUI interface, and the other solution uses the old school dialog, and if you are needing keyboard input selection it works with both as well.

tomt
Valued Contributor

I want to enable this but on my test systems the Option-Return does not bring up the alternate login dialog box.

I'm on 10.8.3 but seeing the same result on a 10.7.5 machine. The 10.8.3 account is a Mobile AD account with admin rights. The 10.7.5 is just a local admin account.

technicholas
Contributor

Option key and enter should works on 10.7.5 allows us to enter the username and password to login to the machine.