unmanage a device from the server

AVmcclint
Honored Contributor

Is it possible to unmanage a device from the server end without deleting it from JSS and without doing the task on the computer itself?
We have a situation where a computer has been pulled aside by our legal department pending some investigations. It is currently turned off and locked away in a safe. The legal team would like to turn the computer on at some point soon to begin their investigation and they don't want files on the computer to change from their current state. Since this computer has been turned off for quite some time, there are a LOT of updates that the computer needs and when they turn it on, it's going to download lots of updates and apply lots of policies. I'd rather not have to change the scopes on all the policies from "All Computers" to "All Computers except this one". I just want to be able to click a button that tells the server to stop managing it so the legal team can do their thing without files being changed. When they are done with their investigation, I can just check the box to manage it again and it will then pull down all the updates and policies that apply to it.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

davidacland
Honored Contributor II
Honored Contributor II

You can. In the JSS, look up the computers inventory record, select general and click edit, then uncheck "Allow JSS to perform management tasks".

Just to note, if you want to re-enable it, you have to re-input the management account username and password.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1

davidacland
Honored Contributor II
Honored Contributor II

You can. In the JSS, look up the computers inventory record, select general and click edit, then uncheck "Allow JSS to perform management tasks".

Just to note, if you want to re-enable it, you have to re-input the management account username and password.