update ALL ios devices

ahall80
New Contributor II

Is there away and I have been reading some of the KB's and all and can't quite find the answer, Is there a way to update or do a mass update through the JSS in the Jamf dashboard or global?

7 REPLIES 7

Asnyder
Contributor III

You have to make a smart group of devices, view the list, and then at the bottom, there is an "actions" button. Click that and then check "send remote command". From there you'll see the update IOS settings.

MattAebly
Contributor II
Contributor II

Hey Aaron,

If you look at a list of all devices by doing a blank search or even looking at a device group for a list of devices, at the bottom there is an action button that can be used to run an iOS update. It will be Action > Send Remote Command > Update iOS Version on supervised devices (iOS 9 - 10.2, enrolled via a PreStage enrollment; and/or iOS 10.3 or later). That info in parentheses is important for devices from 9 - 10.2 since they would need to be DEP devices in order to update them through this method.

patrick_reid
New Contributor II

We have small stacks of iPads across multiple rooms, on multiple campuses. I am hoping to update to iOS 12 this way. Is there a best practice for this, so it doesn't bog down the network? Also, is there an estimated time that the JSS should take to respond after the mass action button is pushed? I am testing a group of 8 iPads and it is getting stuck on the loading screen after pressing go.

aharmsen
New Contributor

There is a known issue in 10.7.1 with updating iOS in this way. I'm told engineers are working on it.

patrick_reid
New Contributor II

Known issue, as in do not trying at all because you are wasting your time? Any other day way to update in this situation, ideas instead of going room to room?

Thanks for the update.

christina_luis
Contributor

Please ignore my comment. I see from reading another post that there is a product issue PI-006356. sorry

patrick_reid
New Contributor II

Looks like the most recent update has stopped the stalling.