Update to 10.14.6

supersizeal
Contributor

How do I deploy/update my clients to the Mac OS 10.14.6?
Where are the steps to create this policy?

5 REPLIES 5

dsavageED
Contributor III

There are multiple ways to achieve your desired result, the most common is a script which manages the software update process, you will find examples on this forum. You could create a configuration profile to check for, download and install system data files and security updates. You could, though I wouldn't recommend, download the combo updater for 10.14.6 and deploy it like any other package.

sharriston
Contributor III

Two ways that I have used are either the Software Update payload within the policy, this will check for and apply updates. It can take quite sometime to run, so I have been using the softwareupdate command built into macOS becuase it seems to work a little quicker. Basic script would be

#!/bin/sh

softwareupdate -i -r

The -i will install the updates and the -R does only required updates. This is super basic and I would always test, but you can make it more elaborate with jamfhelper or some Dialog boxes.

Here is a link to the man page for the softwareupdate command and tells you what each of the flags do.

*Edit changed -R to -r for required. Sorry about that.

diradmin
Contributor II

@sharriston The -R option in conjunction with softwareupdate initiates a restart. I believe that you are referring to -r (lowercase) for recommended updates only.

-r | --recommended All updates that are recommended for your system. These are prefixed with a * character in the --list output.

-R | --restart Automatically restart (or shut down) if required to complete installation.

sharriston
Contributor III

Yes typo sorry about that.

dmichels
Contributor II

You can also setup a Policies which will run the latest updates.
Policies
- General (Apple Security Updates)
- Software Updates (Apple's Software Update server)
- Restart Options (Startup Disk: Current Startup Disk) No user Logged in Action: Restart if a package or update requires it. and user Logged in Action: Restart if a package or update requires it. 5 minutes
- Maintenance: (Update inventory and Flush User Caches)

I just flush the Logs every month and run.