Update /usr/sbin/jamf version: 5.11 to 6.01

ben_greiner
New Contributor

I've created a policy to update the Command Line Applications...

This policy is set to Once Per Computer This policy is triggered by everyHour This policy is assigned to Workstations - 10.5 Leo This policy is assigned to EXAMPLE Update Command Line Applications Run Recon

But it doesn't seem to work as expected. Most clients after successfully running this policy continue to report 5.11.
How can I force my clients to update to 6.01 of the jamf binary?

Thanks,

Ben Greiner
Forget Computers
312 602.5345
ben at forgetcomputers.com

5 REPLIES 5

ernstcs
Contributor III

Hi Ben,

Have you checked /var/logs/jamf.log to see if there is anything there about the policy you are running? I know that you said it was successful, but if you hadn't looked there I still would.

If you are on a machine that reports 5.11 in the JSS and you get to a terminal window on one of those machines and do a: /usr/sbin/jamf version

Does it agree with the JSS version still being at 5.11?

And finally I'd do a manual upgrade on one of these machines as well if the version is out of date to see if you can see something go wrong there. Again terminal at the machine: sudo /usr/sbin/jamf upgrade

See what happens. I know that I still have machines that have a BLANK for the /usr/sbin/jamf version in the JSS...=) Just haven't gotten around to that little issue either.

Craig E

ben_greiner
New Contributor

Hi Craig,

Thanks for your response. The log file doesn't show much, but trying to upgrade locally does...

Help-Desk-iMac-Intel:~ fc_agent$ sudo /usr/sbin/jamf upgrade Password: Checking current versions...

There is a problem with your syntax.

Error: The JSS specified does not contain the proper files. Please ensure that it is the latest version.

Type "jamf help" for more information

I tested on one remote (Leopard) and one local (Tiger) Mac and got the same error. Both Macs execute other Policies fine.

Thanks,

Ben
Forget Computers
312 602.5345

ernstcs
Contributor III

Off the top of my head I'm not sure what is stopping you from downloading the file from the JSS. If support is watching I would please get in touch with Ben.

But that's for sure why they aren't updating.

Craig

jcrowe
New Contributor

Hello,

We had the same problem. I contacted support about it and apparently if you are going over HTTPS 5.11 will not upgrade over HTTPS only HTTP. In our case we had to create a version 6 quickadd package and create a policy. The policy installs the quickadd package and also runs jamf upgrade which will check the server to make sure that it has the correct version.

Justin

ben_greiner
New Contributor

SOLVED - Finally discovered the reason I couldn't update my clients from 5.11 to 6.01 was because our server Firewall was blocking port 9006. JAMF support said policies will use port 9006 to distribute the updated CLI.

However they added that "in version 6.0 and later, the clients will use the secure port of 8443 if it is designated in the /private/etc/ jamf.conf file. This file is created at the time of inventory and is defaulted to 8443."

Ben
Forget Computers
312 602.5345