Updating an app on specific devices? JamfPro

dongiomar
New Contributor

Hello, Is there any way to update a specific app on specific devices? For example, I have an app running on 44 devices but I only want to update that app on a small portion of the 44 devices. Is there anyway to do that?

2 REPLIES 2

MCfreiz
New Contributor III

create a smart group or static group for those computers. set your policy scope to that group

AJPinto
Honored Contributor II

If you are very inexperienced I recommend using patch management. If you are comfortable with JAMF, and maybe even scripting I suggest using a policy and building everything out for more control.

• You can use patch management which will update the application for you if the device has an older version than what the definition you set is. Then just scope the patch management policy to the devices you want to update.

-or-

• You can create a policy that contains the update you want to push out. Then scope that policy to the desired devices with a trigger to run the policy once on check in. You can get far more fancy, but start simple until you understand more.

Both options will require you to make a static or smart group to scope to. Do not directly add computers to a policy or patch management, add groups not computers.