Upgrade from 8.73 to 9.62

karthikeyan_mac
Valued Contributor

Hi,

We are planning for a upgrade from JSS 8.73 to 9.62. We did the migration from 8.73 to 9.4 and then 9.62 in test environment.

We have have few questions:-

1. When we login to the 8.73 version of the JSS you have a Search JSS Topics in the upper right corner above the Login UserName, but unable to find in JSS 9.62.. Is the option available? This option was helping us to find the keyword like scheduled tasks which can't be found in any settings?

2. We have created custom triggers using scheduled tasks like daily4pm(run at 4pm every day), daily2pm configured in Computer Management Framework---->Checkin Frequency....We are unable to see these details after upgrade. When we upgrade the JSS will these triggers(scheduled tasks) , will it work?

If anybody upgraded from 8.7 to 9.6, Please provide us the suggestions/input to upgrade.....

Thanks & Regards,
Karthikeyan

5 REPLIES 5

rtrouton
Release Candidate Programs Tester

Scheduled Tasks are no longer available in Casper 9.x. If I remember correctly from my own upgrade, they'll show up as custom manual triggers after the upgrade, which means that they won't be running on a schedule anymore.

In instances where you need that, I recommend using a LaunchDaemon or LaunchAgent installed on the individual Macs to handle running the needed policies with a manual trigger. For example, if you need to have a policy run with root privileges every day at 4 PM,you could install a LaunchDaemon that is set to run at 4PM on a daily basis. The LaunchDaemon in turn would trigger the policy to run by using the following command:

/usr/sbin/jamf policy -trigger policy_ID_goes_here

Chris_Hafner
Valued Contributor II

There are some pretty monumental changes from 8.7 to 9.whatever. There are really great notes on things that were deprecated in 9.x in the admin guide. Am I assuming that the question is mostly related to the upgrade process itself and not feature changes? If so, you've got it planned out well.

I would go through your MySQL db with a pretty fine toothed comb as corrupted entries (which can hide for a bit) tend to really nuke upgrades. beyond that make sure that you're going to take note of any custom changes you've made to the conf and DataBase xml files if any as you may need to re-apply them.

Are you upgrading anything else alongside the JSS update?

karthikeyan_mac
Valued Contributor

Hi Chris,

We are planning to upgrade the OS X Server to Yosemite and JSS 8.73 to 9.62. Our DB is on MySQL Linux Box.

Thanks & Regards,
Karthikeyan

Chris_Hafner
Valued Contributor II

@karthikeyan.mac][/url Good thing your DB is on a Linux box as there's a known issue with Yosemite has a know issue launching MySQL on startup.

P.S. The MySQL issue can be easily fixed by creating a launchdaemon for it
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/26476391/how-to-auto-load-mysql-on-startup-on-osx-yosemite

donmontalvo
Esteemed Contributor III

Hot off the press, scroll to the bottom:

http://bugs.mysql.com/bug.php?id=59855

--
https://donmontalvo.com