Upgrade to Jamf Pro 10.31.0 was delayed for Jamf Cloud customers. Why?

bpavlov
Honored Contributor

I'm not a Jamf Cloud customer, but my understanding is that 10.31 was scheduled to be installed for Jamf Cloud customers this past weekend and it was cancelled very last minute. Can someone at Jamf provide a reason? Should on-premise customers who already installed 10.31 be concerned? Should we be holding off until 10.31.1 comes out?

Please don't tell me to contact Jamf Support. I'm not the only customer who has this question and all customers would benefit from an answer.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

ben_julian
New Contributor II
New Contributor II

@bpavlov I can confirm that the delay was due to PI-010005, "Unable to load Prestage if legacy passcode payload existed prior to upgrading to 10.31". The technical issue here is that there was a legacy passcode policy payload available in JAMF Pro 10.9 and earlier that is now long-deprecated. However, if the ADE prestage still exists and is in use, the prestage is unable to load in JAMF Pro. Though it was estimated that this would most likely only impact a small number of customers, (to hit this the old prestage from 10.9 or earlier would still have to be around and in use), the severity of the issue was high enough that it was determined a full delay was in the best interest of our customers. If you have any further questions please reach out to success@jamf.com!

@barnesaw please reach out to support@jamf.com and we can get you a SQL query to run to see if you are affected by this issue. If you never leveraged ADE prestage enrollments with that particular payload in the past, you likely are unaffected. But we can verify that with a quick SQL `SELECT` query!

Ben Julian
Jamf Technical Support

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

andrew_nicholas
Valued Contributor

++

barnesaw
Contributor III

We on-prem customers don't count.

cbrewer
Valued Contributor II

Support hasn't gotten back to me so this is just speculation. Maybe they decided PI-010005 needed to be addressed before upgrading cloud customers. They haven't pulled 10.31.0 downloads for on-prem though. The lack of communication is certainly frustrating. Not a fan.

ben_julian
New Contributor II
New Contributor II

@bpavlov I can confirm that the delay was due to PI-010005, "Unable to load Prestage if legacy passcode payload existed prior to upgrading to 10.31". The technical issue here is that there was a legacy passcode policy payload available in JAMF Pro 10.9 and earlier that is now long-deprecated. However, if the ADE prestage still exists and is in use, the prestage is unable to load in JAMF Pro. Though it was estimated that this would most likely only impact a small number of customers, (to hit this the old prestage from 10.9 or earlier would still have to be around and in use), the severity of the issue was high enough that it was determined a full delay was in the best interest of our customers. If you have any further questions please reach out to success@jamf.com!

@barnesaw please reach out to support@jamf.com and we can get you a SQL query to run to see if you are affected by this issue. If you never leveraged ADE prestage enrollments with that particular payload in the past, you likely are unaffected. But we can verify that with a quick SQL `SELECT` query!

Ben Julian
Jamf Technical Support

barnesaw
Contributor III

I'm not worried about that particular issue. I'm more worried that Jamf doesn't seem to care enough about it to notify on-premise customers about this issue being enough of a deal-breaker to delay cloud upgrades. We are clearly third-class customers in Jamf's eyes.

This is precisely why it is my standard practice to wait a month or more to upgrade to new versions. You can't trust Jamf to be open AND FORTHCOMING about what is potentially a serious breakage.

mickl089
Contributor III

Same here, contacted the jamf support already.