Upgraded to JSS 9.91 - VPP apps now not downloading

ItsMe_Sean
Contributor

Hi Nation

We have recently upgraded our JSS server to v9.91 from 9.82 successfully; but now we have just noticed that VPP licensed apps are now no longer downloading for either Mac or iOS platforms.

We have already been through all our JSS settings multiple times and everything seems to be correct.

Has anyone else come across this issue and would be able to provide any help?

Cheers
Sean

13 REPLIES 13

DBrowning
Valued Contributor II

Just tried to install an app and it just stays on Installing but never does anything. Just updated Saturday Night from 9.82 as well.

nsdjoe
Contributor II

We updated our production JSS from v9.82 to v9.91 yesterday afternoon. This morning, I tested downloading a device assigned app via Self Service on an iPad Air running iOS 9.3.1. At first it popped up the following message:

"You must complete the VPP registration process to install this app or eBook. Click OK to register with VPP."

So I clicked OK and waited. It took a few minutes but eventually the app installed. After that, I tried installing other apps from Self Service and everything seemed to work.

So I grabbed another iPad Air (running 9.3). Went to Self Service and tried downloading another device assigned managed app. Same VPP message came up. But I just clicked OK and waited. The app then installed and additional apps installed without any problems.

Not sure why the message is coming up, but it seems to only happen once per device after which apps install without any issues.

~Joe

cdenesha
Valued Contributor II

@Shadow_Within and @nsdjoe In the JSS did you happen to do an 'Update Purchased Content' for the VPP Account?

On my fresh 9.91 DEV cloud instance I deployed Self Service Mobile as a device assigned app (not automatically by the system) just fine. It takes 2-3 minutes for a freshly enrolled iPad since the license needs to be assigned. My live PROD cloud instance is scheduled for upgrading from 9.82 some evening this week...

rbeaton
New Contributor

@cdenesha because it's also happening on Mac OS X makes it look like a JSS or associated daemon issue. On a laptop the Apps don't install automatically but if you go to self service and click install on the app it just opens the App Store and asks you to purchase it. Ive seen that happen before when we had run out of licenses so it's like the JSS can't make a valid request for the app.

rbeaton
New Contributor

Well I think it's happy now but will confirm tomorrow (it's now 7:57pm in Perth, Australia).

What I had to do in the end was what @gshackney said here https://jamfnation.jamfsoftware.com/discussion.html?id=15380#responseChild106652

though I added "where vpp_admin_account_id=1" as we have multiple VPP accounts in the JSS.

I had even tried a new service token to no effect. I didn't think that would work anyway as I could see in the logs that it was seeing new apps we were purchasing and they were being populated into the content section.

I just want to understand what happened :(

BHSnet
New Contributor

@ddcdennisb I had the same problem with a few of my iPads as well. To get them unstuck with the installing message I had to click on them like I was going to open the app. For some reason it looks like the install process has to be resumed, because when I clicked on the app the installation progress circle just continued from a point it had previously stopped.

Really weird.

DBrowning
Valued Contributor II

@eandrade mine is happening on Mac OS. I look in Applications to see if it attempts to install but i just get the attached image. 082a5ebcb4b8401ba10020a30d03a9e2

I see nothing in jamf.log or JAMFApplications.log

BHSnet
New Contributor

@ddcdennisb Sorry I thought you meant iPads, hehe. Are you still able to mount to your distribution folder, either locally or on JDS?

DBrowning
Valued Contributor II

Since the app is VPP its not using the a DP. All other apps and stuff that are stored on DP's work fine. Its just apps from VPP that fail.

analog_kid
Contributor

I haven't upgraded from 9.82 yet so I'm curious just how widespread this issue might be (we use quite a few VPP device assigned apps...)

Mike-C__
New Contributor

So is this still an issue? I was looking to update later today, but then I found this post.
Was there any resolution to this?

russeller
Contributor III

This the unofficial bug/defect tracker for JAMF. You can see if this is a known defect. You can also reach out to your TAM.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1kR98ecX3_YWRrr45wKqEYFgsT6Po-ENUH9iWgTp1-Cg/edit#gid=1393853...

Mike-C__
New Contributor

I updated my JSS to 9.91 yesterday afternoon and my VPP looks like its working fine.