Upgrading from 9.32 to 9.6

Sean_M_Harper
Contributor

Hey everyone:

Anyone want to point at potential roadblocks or issues I am likely to experience? I am running on Ubuntu server (64), and recently went from 9.2 to 9.32 as I was waiting to see if the Thunderbolt Enrollment bug was repaired. Other than that, I am not aware of any major issues.

Let me know if there is anything I should be concerned about before moving my JSS tomorrow to the new version.

Thanks in advance!

15 REPLIES 15

fsjjeff
Contributor II

I haven't seen anything else written about it, and JAMF support said it was not usual, but when I tried to go from 9.31 - 9.52, there is a schema update in 9.4 that has something to do with Self Service Notifications which needs to be populated - it took more than 36 hours for us. During that time the JSS is down - no imaging, no policies, no Self Service, etc. It may have just been a strange glitch that effected us, but something to be aware of as a possibility. It definitely caught me off guard.

nateburt
New Contributor III

We made that same leap (9.32 to 9.6) last week. Upgrade was quick in our case - <1/2 hour to snapshot server, run update, and have it back up and running (already had database backup). No problems encountered during verification (related to the upgrade, that is).

ragnar86
New Contributor

We performed an update from 9.31-9.6 last week . Upgrade took less than 30 minutes as well with snapshot/backup/etc..

iJake
Valued Contributor

9.31 -> 9.6 was quick for me but no mobile devices. I ran through the upgrade in our dev environment before doing the upgrade in prod.

fsjjeff
Contributor II

That's so strange, I wonder what it is about my environment that causes such a long upgrade time - I've even run the upgrade multiple times in a test VM, each time with the same results. I can literally watch the SQL database slowly populate the selfservicenotifications table, it ends up with about 56000 entries. Worries me a bit to be honest.

Sean_M_Harper
Contributor

Thanks everyone for the quick feedback! I will roll my upgrade tonight and we can see if I have the same selfservicenotifications issue.

MichaelC
New Contributor III

I just upgraded from 9.32 to 9.61, and have found a couple of problems. Computers won't list, in any view - the 'loading' wheel just sits there and spins until my session times out; and the memory usage data doesn't get displayed, only the figure for total memory. Has anyone else seen issues like that?

MichaelC
New Contributor III

Never mind, turns out it's a Safari 8 issue. Everything works fine in Firefox.

tomt
Valued Contributor

One thing to note if you have any 10.6 client machines. The Self Service app in 9.6 will not run on Snow Leopard machines. I had saved a copy of Self Service from my 9.32 install and that seems to work just fine on 10.6 systems.

alex030cc
New Contributor II

Upgrading from 9.32 to 9.61, we see the same behaviour on JSS Startup hanging at Self Service Notifications: 98%. @fsjjeff: Can you say something about, where it hanged in your environment?
We can not see any db activity when it hangs at 98%.

fsjjeff
Contributor II

It never really hung for us, just took a very long time (36 or so hours!!). I could see database activity the whole time on a Self Service Notifications table. I'm still absolutely stumped on why mine took so long.

cvgs
Contributor II

Hi fsjjeff,

while debugging our hanging issue, i stumbled upon that your problem might have to do with your LDAP lookup speed:

When populating Self Service notifications, the JSS does a LDAP lookup for every notification. So you have 56000 entries, your migration took around 36h 60min/h 60 s/min = 129600s, so an user LDAP lookup would presumably take around (129600s / 5600) = 2,3s.

You could verify that in the LDAP pane of your JSS by manually testing your LDAP server to see if you are in that time range?

As for the 98% issue: If you upgrade from 9.32 -> 9.4 -> 9.52 -> 9.61, everything seems to work fine, at least in the testing environment.

kaci_weirich
New Contributor

For anyone still checking this thread, we upgraded from 9.32 to 9.6 and Self Service does not work on any machines running 10.8.x or older version of OSX. We're working with JAMF support on the issue but just an FYI. If you have a copy of 9.32 Self Service, the work around has been to deploy that to machines running 10.8.x or older.

dlugo
New Contributor

@kaci.weirich

This is very helpful. I work for a DoD Client and all our machines are either 10.6.8 or 10.8.5. Please keep me informed. I'll deploy 9.32 Self Service to our machines. Thank you for the update.

jason_cohen
New Contributor

@kaci.weirich
@dlugo

This is related to the the Crash Plan PROe Self Service Plugin bundle, disabling this allows 9.6 Self Service to work.

We are still in the process of testing to see if this is also related to other plugins.

To track this defect to see if it is fixed, the defect # is: D-008056.

@cvgs , your workflow works well for an upgrade from 9.31 to 9.61, just used it. Another customer saw the same issue with the Self Service Notifications. Once we restored back to 9.31 and went through 9.4 and then 9.5 we were able to upgrade to 9.61 without the Self Service Notification issues at startup.

Thanks!