Anyone want to point at potential roadblocks or issues I am likely to experience? I am running on Ubuntu server (64), and recently went from 9.2 to 9.32 as I was waiting to see if the Thunderbolt Enrollment bug was repaired. Other than that, I am not aware of any major issues.
Let me know if there is anything I should be concerned about before moving my JSS tomorrow to the new version.
Thanks in advance!
I haven't seen anything else written about it, and JAMF support said it was not usual, but when I tried to go from 9.31 - 9.52, there is a schema update in 9.4 that has something to do with Self Service Notifications which needs to be populated - it took more than 36 hours for us. During that time the JSS is down - no imaging, no policies, no Self Service, etc. It may have just been a strange glitch that effected us, but something to be aware of as a possibility. It definitely caught me off guard.
That's so strange, I wonder what it is about my environment that causes such a long upgrade time - I've even run the upgrade multiple times in a test VM, each time with the same results. I can literally watch the SQL database slowly populate the selfservicenotifications table, it ends up with about 56000 entries. Worries me a bit to be honest.
I just upgraded from 9.32 to 9.61, and have found a couple of problems. Computers won't list, in any view - the 'loading' wheel just sits there and spins until my session times out; and the memory usage data doesn't get displayed, only the figure for total memory. Has anyone else seen issues like that?
while debugging our hanging issue, i stumbled upon that your problem might have to do with your LDAP lookup speed:
When populating Self Service notifications, the JSS does a LDAP lookup for every notification. So you have 56000 entries, your migration took around 36h 60min/h 60 s/min = 129600s, so an user LDAP lookup would presumably take around (129600s / 5600) = 2,3s.
You could verify that in the LDAP pane of your JSS by manually testing your LDAP server to see if you are in that time range?
As for the 98% issue: If you upgrade from 9.32 -> 9.4 -> 9.52 -> 9.61, everything seems to work fine, at least in the testing environment.
For anyone still checking this thread, we upgraded from 9.32 to 9.6 and Self Service does not work on any machines running 10.8.x or older version of OSX. We're working with JAMF support on the issue but just an FYI. If you have a copy of 9.32 Self Service, the work around has been to deploy that to machines running 10.8.x or older.
This is related to the the Crash Plan PROe Self Service Plugin bundle, disabling this allows 9.6 Self Service to work.
We are still in the process of testing to see if this is also related to other plugins.
To track this defect to see if it is fixed, the defect # is: D-008056.
@cvgs , your workflow works well for an upgrade from 9.31 to 9.61, just used it. Another customer saw the same issue with the Self Service Notifications. Once we restored back to 9.31 and went through 9.4 and then 9.5 we were able to upgrade to 9.61 without the Self Service Notification issues at startup.