Upgrading OSX Server from 10.8 to 10.9

jbmiller
New Contributor III

We are planning to upgrade the os for the mac mini that is currently running our jss from 10.8.5 to 10.9.2. Are there any issues that have been found with running the latest version of jss on 10.9.2? Should I expect any problems if I just update to 10.9 through App Store for an in-place upgrade as oppose to a clean install w/restore of jss db from backup?

14 REPLIES 14

RobertHammen
Valued Contributor II

My "new" test server was upgraded from 10.8->10.9 with JSS 9.3 already installed. No issues. I think I made sure I had updated the jdk to 1.7r51, and installed the latest MySQL in the 5.5 line before installing the upgrade. Make sure you have a bootable/restorable backup in case you run into anything. Be sure to document your web and share point settings before installing the upgrade...

dkagle
New Contributor III

Check with your networking people first. I am unable to upgrade at my business because of the network ARP issue mentioned in this article. http://www.macstadium.com/blog/osx-10-9-mavericks-bugs/

I have tried 3 different Macs Mini's running 10.9.2 and I have had no success. Luckily it only effects the servers, not the clients.

mpermann
Valued Contributor II

@kegs5901, unless I'm missing something in the article, it states the ARP issue is supposed to have been fixed in 10.9.2. Are you still experiencing the ARP issue with 10.9.2?

bentoms
Release Candidate Programs Tester

Our inplace update seemed to work.

Worryingly the updates can take an hour with the server down, but seemed ok afterwards.

Might have had to have updated Java, but can't remember. It was pretty unremarkable.

cstout
Contributor III
Contributor III

I would caution that if you are using NetBoot services from your 10.8 install, I had an extremely unreliable NetBoot experience once I updated to 10.9. The NBI's would boot properly, but more than 50% of the time Casper Imaging would not be able to mount the distribution point. After trying it out for a week I finally downgraded back to 10.6 server, which I was using previously, and every single boot to NetBoot worked flawlessly. This was also on 10.9.0 Server and may have been addressed in one of the later updates.

wmateo
Contributor

There is a Issue with NetBoot on 10.9 and TFTP limitation you should be aware of. Gave me tons of Headaches but this forum helped me. Worth mentioning.... check out this link

https://jamfnation.jamfsoftware.com/discussion.html?id=9836

RobertHammen
Valued Contributor II

Server.app 3.1.1 under 10.9.2 is actually better at making sure my NetBoot images actually boot disklessly (wrong permissions on the Shadow files in the Netbootxxx folder) than 10.8.x was...

jbmiller
New Contributor III

Thanks for the info. I will give an update after the process is complete. We have our netboot server separate from our jss so the netboot problems should not be an issue.

bentoms
Release Candidate Programs Tester

Isn't the 32MB issue an client side one, & not a server side one.

chris_kemp
Contributor III

I just had to upgrade our server from 10.8.5 to 10.9.3 due to OS issues. One thing that did happen was that the symlink for mysql went away, which caused the JSS not to connect to the database.

Recreating that was as simple as:

sudo ln -s mysql-5.5.32-osx10.6-x86_64/ mysql

Something to watch out for, though.

I also had to reinstall java 6 to get the JSSDatabaseUtil.jar to work again. I downloaded the installation pkg. from Apple, because going the command line route directs you to Oracle now.

jbmiller
New Contributor III

There were a few issues that I encountered during the upgrade process. The first issue being the need to have a licensed copy of Server 3.x.x to upgrade the server app after the update to 10.9 has been completed. I had to install the 3.x.x version of server to update the server app to the correct version for mavericks. I also had to follow @chris.kemp's suggestion to recreate the symlink for mysql. Finally, I also needed to reinstall the JDK along with the Java Cryptography Extension. I followed the instructions found on the article below if anyone needs it. Our JSS is up and running again.

https://jamfnation.jamfsoftware.com/article.html?id=28

chris_kemp
Contributor III

Ah yes, Server 3...that was another one! ;)

Chris_Hafner
Valued Contributor II

I wish I could have come across this earlier. It's strange that my setup seems to cover the gamut of the discussion. We did the in place upgrade two nights ago and it was brilliant. The upgrade was a necessity due to AFP/memory problems after a coincidental upgrade from JSS 9.25 to 9.3 on a 10.8.5 server, hosting both MySQL and the primary DP. I've also got another 10.9 NetBoot/SUS that's running beautifully. After all Server 3.1.1 fixes an issue regarding Net boot over a link aggregate.

It was brilliant. Of course I had plenty of backup (none bootable. I've another box always ready to take over duties.) all I had to do was re install MySQL and upgrade Server app. Pretty darned simple!

FYI I was presented with a warning that I would be required to upgrade the server.app after installation. While I did know about that already. It was a nice touch. Mind you, I'm quite annoyed at Apples vision of "server" at the moment and am probably running the last mac servers I'll ever run.

dkagle
New Contributor III

In my case 10.9.2 didnt' fix the ARP issue but it depends on your network infrastructure. Its hit and miss. I am waiting the GM seed of 10.9.3 and crossing my fingers.