Upgrading Snow Leopard Server to Mountain Lion Server

FastGM3
Contributor

My Snow Leopard Server is just running Casper. I've backed up the JSS. I'm ready to install Mountain Lion then install the OSX Server app. Is there anything I need to look out for? Will the JSS make a smooth upgrade over my current JSS after I upgrade the Server?

I know sometimes Apple likes to make some directory structure changes, so I'm a little concerned. Any thoughts or ideas would be gratefully appreciated.

Thanks,
Chuck

1 REPLY 1

jbrucato
New Contributor

Hi Chuck,

I went through this today and it wasn't as smooth as I would have hoped. However, it could have been a bit easier if I had the below information. I spoke with JAMF support and Keaton gave me the following information. I'm sure if you follow the steps below it shouldn't be a problem. Thank you for all of your help, Keaton!

After upgrading the server to Mountain Lion we'll want to remove all traces of MySQL left behind by Snow Leopard. We can follow the steps below to do so. You also should uninstall the new version of MySQL we install first. Then install it again after we complete the steps below. 1) Make sure to stop all MySQL processes. Run the following command from Terminal: ps auxww | grep mysql We will want to kill these processes by running the following command and replacing XXXXX with the PID of the process (the second item in the ps output): sudo kill -9 XXXXX Example: sudo kill -9 42741 sudo kill -9 43023 2) Delete all known MySQL files. Run all the commands below from Terminal: sudo rm -rf /usr/local/mysql* sudo rm -rf /Library/StartupItems/MySQLCOM sudo rm -rf /Library/PreferencePanes/My* sudo rm -rf /Library/Receipts/mysql* sudo rm -rf /Library/Receipts/MySQL* sudo rm -rf /var/db/receipts/com.mysql.* sudo rm -rf /var/mysql sudo rm -f /etc/my.cnf sudo rm -f /usr/bin/mysql* 3) Remove MySQL from any startup processes or launchd items. - edit /etc/hostconfig and remove the line MYSQLCOM=-YES- - Search the following locations for anything with mysql in the name and delete it - /Library/LaunchDaemons - /Library/LaunchAgents - /System/Library/LaunchAgents - /System/Library/LaunchDaemons 4) Restart the server 5) Run "ps auxww | grep mysql" again to double check that it is not running at all 6) Download and install MySQL version 5.5.3x 7) Open the MySQL preference pane in System Preferences and click "Start MySQL Server". 8) Enter the following command into Terminal to get into the MySQL command prompt: /usr/local/mysql/bin/mysql -u root 9) Once in, run the following two commands from the mysql command prompt: create database jamfsoftware; grant all on jamfsoftware.* to jamfsoftware@localhost identified by 'jamfsw03'; 10) Open the JSSDatabaseUtil.jar from /Library/JSS/bin and restore the database backup. 11) After this has completed and Tomcat has restarted, log into the JSS and confirm that all the information is there. Things to consider after: - Move in a new my.cnf so that we can edit things like max connections and max packet size by running: - sudo cp /usr/local/mysql/support-files/my-medium.cnf /etc/my.cnf

After upgrading I ran into an issue with my MCX preferences not coming through. After some back and forth with JAMF they let me know that it is a known issue and they are currently working in a KB article for it. I really hope this gets fixed. I ended up downgrading back to 8.71 because we use MCX so much with our 10.6 clients (most student computers).

Thanks,

John