Upgrading systems to 10.5.8

jcrowe
New Contributor

I was wondering if anyone has used Casper to push out 10.5.8. I have done some testing and it works. But, looking through some forums there are some bad repair permissions problems, where if you repair permissions the files will no longer have any permissions at all. It appears as though installing the update a second time seems to fix this issue. I tried installing the package twice in one policy and just doing the reboot after the second one installs, but that still seemed to fail.

Has anyone else had success or any suggestions?

Thank you,

Justin

3 REPLIES 3

jarednichols
Honored Contributor

do your users have admin rights? if so, why not just direct them to an internal SUS?
---
Jared F. Nichols
Desktop Engineer, Infrastructure & Operations
Information Services Department
MIT Lincoln Laboratory
244 Wood Street
Lexington, Massachusetts 02420

jcrowe
New Contributor

Our users don't have admin rights. We skipped 10.5.7 because of some bugs that would affect our work. Now in doing so it appears that only the 10.5.8 combo updater has permissions problems and not the delta.

If no one else has seen this issue you can find out more information about it here Apple - Support - Discussions - Repairing permissions after 10.5.8 .... I have seen it on every mac that I have pushed out the combo updater to once. The second install of the combo updater fixes the issue.

Justin

jarednichols
Honored Contributor

If it's the combo that's the problem, you could, in theory, chain the updates... That may get a little dicey being OS updates though...

j
---
Jared F. Nichols
Desktop Engineer, Infrastructure & Operations
Information Services Department
MIT Lincoln Laboratory
244 Wood Street
Lexington, Massachusetts 02420