Upgrading to v9.11 and MySQL 5.5

lhscasper
Contributor

Hi All,

I'm planning on upgrading from 8.72 to 9.11 next week and I notice that 9.11 requires MySQL 5.5.

We are currently running MySQL 5.1. I have found this page at mysql.com and plan on following the instructions listed. http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.5/en/windows-upgrading.html

Apart from the obvious of backing up the database before commencing, are there any hidden dangers lurking out there that others have found? Is it really that simple?

Cheers,
Chris.

11 REPLIES 11

jwojda
Valued Contributor II

uh. I just upgraded mysql from 5.5.x to the current 5.6.x and I lost access to the JSS. Called support and they are having me restore our overnight backup.

dmw3
Contributor III

We upgraded MySQL to version 5.5.33 on production JSS with no issues. Have tried version 5.6.12 on a test box and updated ok.

What version and OS did you have trouble with?

jwojda
Valued Contributor II

I was on 10.8.5 running 8.71 w/ mysql 5.5 as well. With Jamf's help I'm back up and running now. Did have to adjust teh strict mode though, and for some reason I have 2 x my.cnf files my SQL is using one and JSS binary is using the other.

Chris_Hafner
Valued Contributor II

Anyone running Casper 9.2 and MySQL 5.6. I'm getting some flaky performance after a day or so.

nessts
Valued Contributor II

i have been running 5.6.12 on Linux servers for months with the 9.x JSS. one thing to note its our lab and not sure how with only 5-10 machines connecting i could ever drive flaky performance.

Chris_Hafner
Valued Contributor II

Yea, we're pretty small but not that small. About 650 units under management. After about a day I start getting weird timeouts. Then after two to three days I lose access to the MySQL database all together. A quick restart sorts it and then we start over again. Unfortunately I don't know much about debugging that particular beast so I'm hoping someone can relate before I have to do too much footwork ;-) I know about the old struck mode thing with 5.6 but I thought that was resolved as of 8.7.x+ ?

Chris_Hafner
Valued Contributor II

FYI, the error I get from the JSS database utility is:

*Unable to connect to database:

Warning: Using a password on the command line interface can be insecure.ERROR 2013 (HY000): Lost Connection to MySQL server at 'reading authorization packet' system error: 0

Please make sure that the MySQL server is running and that a firewall is not blocking the JSS utility*

Now, I should point out that I am on OS X 10.8.5 "Server" with JSS 9.2 and MySQL 5.6.14 community edition

Chris_Hafner
Valued Contributor II

Looks like I'm getting aborted_connects. Will diagnose further and post.

Chris_Hafner
Valued Contributor II

I'm crossing my fingers now. 12 hours and only 12 aborted connections. It turns out that originally, when I disabled strict mode (something you should do on MySQL 5.6) it didn't stick. Hopefully that helps sort it out.

Chris_Hafner
Valued Contributor II

Ended up downgrading to MySQL 5.5.35 from 5.6.14. See thread https://jamfnation.jamfsoftware.com/discussion.html?id=6493 if you're interested.

donmontalvo
Esteemed Contributor III

Were you guys ever able to get to MySQL 5.6.x?

Or are you staying with 5.5.x?

--
https://donmontalvo.com