Urgent Database fails to start: error 1060

samuellarsson
New Contributor III

Hi,

Short version:

My database does not start anymore. It says "Error: failed to start the database: exit status 1060". Does anybody know anything about this?

Long version:

I decided to upgrade from Jamf Pro 10.14.0 to 10.15.0 today, but before I could do that I was going to backup the database as usual. I stopped Tomcat and entered the Java server tool GUI to perform the backup from there. However, I was greeted with a configuration password prompt that I have never seen before, and none of my documented passwords worked. So I ran

.jamf-pro.exe config encrypt forgot-password

to reset it, which resulted in no more password prompts. When I subsequently tried to backup the database, I get a strange error saying that the backup file already exists (which it doesn't). I also tried to save it somewhere else, but same error there. Then when I went to the MySQL tab in the server tool GUI, I see that the database is not longer running, and when I try to start it, I get:

Error: failed to start the database: exit status 1060

Does anybody know what is wrong here?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

samuellarsson
New Contributor III

For posterity:

I solved it together with the diligent Jamf Support. The error had probably stemmed from a previous migration from MyISAM to InnoDB. Below is a section cut out from the support ticket:

Doing some digging, I found that some of our database issues you were running into were possibly related to being on Jamf Pro 10.14 and MySQL 5.6. Using the link below, we were able to upgrade from 5.6 to 8.0 and successfully alleviate the database error that was persisting. https://www.jamf.com/jamf-nation/articles/698/upgrading-to-mysql-8-0 We also needed to adjust the following: -Ran into “Error: packet for query is too large” during Database Restore -Adjusted packet size from 4M > 64M Making those changes allowed the backup to restore correctly, and you were able to access your Instance, and have it ready for the upgrade to 10.15.

I.e., I removed MySQL 5.6 completely and installed and configured MySQL 8.0 according to the guide mentioned above, then restored a database backup.

Hope this helps anyone in the future!

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

samuellarsson
New Contributor III

There have been no useful logs created either. The last thing that was logged was the Tomcat shutdown in JAMFSoftwareServer.log.

samuellarsson
New Contributor III

For posterity:

I solved it together with the diligent Jamf Support. The error had probably stemmed from a previous migration from MyISAM to InnoDB. Below is a section cut out from the support ticket:

Doing some digging, I found that some of our database issues you were running into were possibly related to being on Jamf Pro 10.14 and MySQL 5.6. Using the link below, we were able to upgrade from 5.6 to 8.0 and successfully alleviate the database error that was persisting. https://www.jamf.com/jamf-nation/articles/698/upgrading-to-mysql-8-0 We also needed to adjust the following: -Ran into “Error: packet for query is too large” during Database Restore -Adjusted packet size from 4M > 64M Making those changes allowed the backup to restore correctly, and you were able to access your Instance, and have it ready for the upgrade to 10.15.

I.e., I removed MySQL 5.6 completely and installed and configured MySQL 8.0 according to the guide mentioned above, then restored a database backup.

Hope this helps anyone in the future!