User initiated software request

denmoff
Contributor III

I think Self Service is a great place to have users request software that is not available in their Self Service, whether it be software that isn't in the repository or software that hasn't been scoped to them. I was wondering what are some tips, tricks, or best practices for doing this?

I'm using a nice little mailing script to do a Mavericks request for users that want to upgrade. However, the script doesn't work when the user is on a network that blocks port 25(which many ISP do).

4 REPLIES 4

Caitlin_H
New Contributor III

I think that is a great idea. I have been sending out a bi-monthly newsletter to our Users outlining what is available in Self Service and where they should request software be added (right now to our Help Desk).

denmoff
Contributor III

@Caitlin_M I like the idea of a newsletter. But instead of being in the form of an email, i might just make it a full screen popup so they're forced to see it. :-)

Also, I'm thinking about creating a software request web form off of our Help Desk page and adding that as a Self Service side bar item.

Caitlin_H
New Contributor III

That's a good idea. I would like to find a way to link it to Self Service so it is more like a one stop shop for our Users and most requests can be driven through there.

emily
Valued Contributor III
Valued Contributor III

Resurrecting an old thread again, sorry.

I've tried that script as well and it's not working for me at all. :( I recently joined in on a JAMF webinar and they had a similar request feature in their Self Service. How does one get that script working? (pinging @jarednichols)