User: "Since jamf is installed my mac i slow"

Captainamerica
Contributor II

As admin you probably all have heard this from users. But do any has some expierence in what is the best practise to look for issues with Jamf on client - or what CAN be the issue
Normally I look of course in what processes are running and CPU load, but also typically it does look normal

6 REPLIES 6

arivera
New Contributor III

I’m sorry. User is lying but to give them the benefit of the doubt. When are they experiencing this slowness?

talkingmoose

Second step is to interview the user. Messages like these are so vague, you're wasting your time trying to troubleshoot a problem that may be there all the time, may be there sporadically (under certain conditions) or just may be user perception.

First step is to ensure your users get hardware that won't get in the way of their work. By that I mean, don't get the cheapest hardware with spinning 5400 HDD drives and the minimal amount of memory available, etc. Those models have their place, but not when it comes to productivity that relies on horsepower. (And don't forget your own productivity in managing those devices is impacted by hardware too.)

cbrewer
Valued Contributor II

To be fair, there are plenty of ways Jamf could be misused or not optimally configured that could slow down an end user machine. I would review policy logs and management command history for this user's computer and make sure you don't have something not working the way you intended.

arivera
New Contributor III

Like cbrewer said. Only time I’ve seen something similar is on login logout hooks where someone had a bunch of ongoing policies and it would be slow logging in because of this. But check what kind of hardware they have etc.

mschroder
Valued Contributor

For certain versions of jamf the client goes crazy when the Self-Service app is kept open for too long. The client will try to contact the server at a frantic rate. We have seen up to 1.5 million connection attempts within 24 hours from one single client. That user did notice a significant speed-up of his Mac once he quit the Self-Service.

hkabik
Valued Contributor

Excessive scripting in EA's can potentially cause slowness when reconning. I've never actually seen it in my years as a Jamf Admin, but I've heard of it happening and it does stand to reason.