Users with secure tokens enabled do not appear at the login window

kevin5495
New Contributor III

After a MBP finishes User Initiated Enrollment and new users are granted a secure token with sysadminctl, they don't appear as a login option on an encrypted drive. My understanding is that I can enable or disable STs to control user options on the login screen. Am I missing something else?

3 REPLIES 3

seraphina
Contributor II

Have you read this blog post by Rich Trouton? https://derflounder.wordpress.com/2018/01/20/secure-token-and-filevault-on-apple-file-system/

Accounts created with a script/command line do not have a ST, and to grant one, the account must have one.
Are you using a policy in jamf or doing so within system preferences?

fredmin
New Contributor III

We had run into this issue with our computers that were bound to AD. The users were granted a secure token, but then didn't appear on the initial boot screen. By running sudo diskutil apfs updatePreboot / in Terminal we were able to resolve this issue.

And I will second @mlizbeth recommendation to read Rich Trouton's blog. There is a wealth of information there!

kevin5495
New Contributor III

I have read Rich's excellent post on this, and then some. I should have read the comments too. Sudo diskutil... worked like a charm. Thank you, This saves my entire summer. I would say beers at Grumpy's but, alas it's gone.