Using Creative Cloud Installer as a prestage enrollment package

GabeShack
Valued Contributor III

Hey all,

I’m wanting to install the creative cloud desktop app as a prestage package, however Adobe seems to continue to suck at making things. 

Without breaking their bizarre installer, I believe their “pkg” needs to be flat and also needs to be signed to be used as a prestage enrollment package. 

Im able to sign it no problem, but to get it to act like an actual package (meaning it doesn’t try to zip itself when dumped into our cloud distribution point) is my current problem. 

Anyone else figure out a way to utilize the Adobe installer as a prestage package?

Gabe Shackney
Princeton Public Schools
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

GabeShack
Valued Contributor III

Actually Ive added the installer (for just the desktop app) as an enrollment complete package and its worked every time.

Gabe Shackney
Princeton Public Schools

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

sdagley
Esteemed Contributor II

@GabeShack You could use Composer to package the CC Desktop non-flat installer .pkg inside a flat .pkg (create a Compose project for some random file in /tmp then drag the CC Desktop .pkg into that project) then use a postinstall script to run the actual installer.

That said, do you really want it as a prestage package? I _think_ the CC Desktop installer really wants a logged in user when it runs.

GabeShack
Valued Contributor III

@sdagley Thanks,

I’d love it to be there before the user gets logged in. As much as I can have installed before the user logs in, would be great. I already have Office, Chrome, Firefox, Zoom all install on enrollment. CC is just a big pain in the ass. Our previous method was to use DEPNotify and each tech would sign into the admin user to trigger the installs before it restarted back to the login screen. Now we have JAMF connect and I want this to be as seamless as possible with as little interaction as possible. 

That being said, your right, it’s possible it fails since there is no logged in user. But I’ll test what you suggested. 

(Not to mention the install takes about 11min. I don’t want my users waiting for their crappy installer to work if I can avoid it). 

Gabe Shackney
Princeton Public Schools

KRIECCO
Contributor

Agree CC is pain in the ass. Overall maintenance of CC apps are nightmare - they should take a look at office how they do keep updates

But back to your question. If they wait for packages to instsall in pre-stage or they wait for the installation afterwards when they are logged ?. So I would go for quick enrollment and then start package install when user is logged in on desktop. Also make troubleshooting easier and user has a running client - where if things breaks in pre-stage you cannot login 

akw0045
New Contributor III

I create a DMG cached to a tmp folder and script install that. It's not in the prestage but it installs fairly quickly after the client logs in for the first time. We allow non-admins to install and update adobe cc so, all that is getting installed is the CC desktop app. The client can pick what they need from there.

dpwlg
New Contributor III

Mind sharing how you got this accomplished would like to do the same but have the applications installed during prestage.

GabeShack
Valued Contributor III

Actually Ive added the installer (for just the desktop app) as an enrollment complete package and its worked every time.

Gabe Shackney
Princeton Public Schools