Using JAMF Pro to manage devices that would be leased or sold to others

smhertzx
New Contributor II

I would like to supply IOS devices to schools and have them managed by JAMF Pro. They are specialty devices that would not make sense for it to be put under the schools MDM.
I am not sure if I would lease or sell them to schools.

I have seen other companies that have an iPad kiosk that they sell to libraries and mange them through a MDM. 

Is this something that would be allowed (legal?) . The devices are not being setup to be used at my company but rather for outside entities.

Anyone know the answer or where I could get the answer?

Thanks

4 REPLIES 4

jpeters21
Contributor II

The Jamf success team (basically account reps) would probably be the proper people to verify the terms of your subscription.. I have however heard of MSPs using a single Jamf instance (legal or not) and Apple school/business manager is also structured in such a way you can have multiple organizations under your log in.

My opinion is if your selling devices it should be a specific instance for them, vs leasing a device I would keep it under yours in both Jamf and ABM/ASM. Note educational pricing is different so making a school its own instance is cheaper then the cost of you as an individual/business, but yes then you are duplicating your work for multiple organizations instead of scaling out your existing instance

smhertzx
New Contributor II

Thanks @jpeters21 for your thoughtful reply.

Apologies for the late follow up.

@jpeters21 wrote:

The Jamf success team (basically account reps) would probably be the proper people to verify the terms of your subscription.

OK thanks.

@jpeters21 wrote:

My opinion is if your selling devices it should be a specific instance for them, vs leasing a device I would keep it under yours in both Jamf and ABM/ASM. 

You mean to say selling they should have their own instance vs leasing possibly keeping it on my own?

Thanks

yea at least the device ownership to management structure is what makes sense to my brain, in no way saying that is what you need to do. 

jpeters21
Contributor II

is there no delete in jamf forums?