Using Mac Apps with Self Service

srochford
New Contributor II

jamf Pro now makes available a section called "Mac Apps" with a huge catalogue of ready to use applications.

This works really well - I can very quickly get new applications installed on machines.

What I'd like to do is make some of the applications available via Self Service (not everyone needs the entire Adobe Creative Cloud suite) but I can't see how to do that. Am I just being really stupid or is it not possible to target Mac Apps for Self Service?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

talkingmoose

You're not missing anything. Self Service is not an option yet.

Keep in mind App Installers is in preview. It'll be in flux for a while and new features will be added over time while it's still in preview. I'll refer you to a comment this Jamf Blog post:

Why is App Installers being released as a preview feature?

Getting App Installers into the hands of our customers as quickly as possible, and at a far larger scale than we can reproduce in testing, helps us to collect feedback from the get-go. We have a few improvements and adjustments we already know we'd like to make, such as the ability to publish a title to Self Service. These will be rolled out in future releases of Jamf Pro.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

anuj530
New Contributor III

You will need to add each creative cloud app separately first. and then make each app available in self-service under the distribution method. You will see the distribution method under the general tab of each mac app store app.

anuj530
New Contributor III

I am only talking about the mac app store apps here btw. 

srochford
New Contributor II

Thanks. The one criticism I'd make of the Mac Apps feature is its name - it's way too similar to Mac store apps :-) 

talkingmoose

You're not missing anything. Self Service is not an option yet.

Keep in mind App Installers is in preview. It'll be in flux for a while and new features will be added over time while it's still in preview. I'll refer you to a comment this Jamf Blog post:

Why is App Installers being released as a preview feature?

Getting App Installers into the hands of our customers as quickly as possible, and at a far larger scale than we can reproduce in testing, helps us to collect feedback from the get-go. We have a few improvements and adjustments we already know we'd like to make, such as the ability to publish a title to Self Service. These will be rolled out in future releases of Jamf Pro.

srochford
New Contributor II

I did read the blog post but obviously too quickly and I missed the mention of self service.

It really is good to have this available in Jamf - it's going to save so much work not having to download packages, upload to Jamf and keep checking for new releases.

michael_madsen
New Contributor III

I would also love to see availablity of Jamf App Catalog apps in SelfService. I'm a big fan of not pushing out all kinds of apps automatically. By letting people chose for themselves from the SelfService, the users also get some kind of ownership of this process.