View differences between packages

laurendc
New Contributor

Hi all, I'm wondering if there is a way (either through Casper or otherwise) to make comparisons between packages? For instance, if I need to find differences between package contents? Similar to what vimdiff does for text files - where you can see differences between different versions of text files at the same time.

Currently I use Composer to create packages but I'm open to hearing about other tools as necessary, or hearing if there is a way to do this with Casper tools.

4 REPLIES 4

mm2270
Legendary Contributor III

Not sure if this will be helpful, but if the packages in question are both of the flat variety, you could use pkgutil with the following syntax-

pkgutil --payload-files /path/to/install.pkg > /path/to/outputfile

This outputs something similar to what you see when you choose :Show files" when its opened up in Installer.app. Its not going to show you any embedded pre/post install scripts or any of that. Just what's contained in the payload.
Do that for each package and then use standard diff tools to compare and find the differences perhaps?

pkgutil only works on flat packages though, so if you've got a mix of flat and bundle style packages this won't do much to help.

JPDyson
Valued Contributor

Not precisely what you're looking for, but I tend to use Pacifist to check out packages. Nag screen warning (but I ended up buying a license; I get my mileage out of it).

http://www.charlessoft.com

mm2270
Legendary Contributor III

I was going to mention Pacifist as well since its very useful for viewing the entire contents of a package, including the scripts and anything else in it. But I don't think it would allow you to compare two packages and find what is different between them. Still. very useful little utility if you work with a lot of packages.

laurendc
New Contributor

@mm2270 the two I'm hoping to work with are both flat packages so I will give that a try

@JPDyson I will have to give Pacifist a closer look - I have seen it mentioned here in the forums a lot.