Viewing Scripts that are in the database

sirkyle
New Contributor III

So now that scripts are uploaded directly to the database, does anyone know if we can easily view these scripts? Ideally, if a coworker uploads an awesome script and says "hey, check out my policy that runs my awesome script." That's great and all but unless he provides me with a copy of his script, I have no idea what this awesome script actually does.

6 REPLIES 6

geoffrey-obrien
New Contributor

If you go to settings, Computer Management, Scripts you can view and edit them directly through the web interface. Now, keep in mind, you can also run simple command line scripts from within a policy under Files and Processes by using the Execute Command field.

sirkyle
New Contributor III

Thanks! I knew I could count on this community!

donmontalvo
Esteemed Contributor III

Just curious, after we've migrated our Distribution Points, do we now only have the option to create/edit/delete script through the Script Editor in JSS? If so how are you guys dealing with tracking script changes?

PS, thank you JAMF for adding my CMA badge! :D:D:D

--
https://donmontalvo.com

iJake
Valued Contributor

You can still create them outside in whatever editor you want. Then when you go to add them to Casper they will go directly to the database. Any editing I do in my local editor and after making sure it is correct I'll just copy and paste the code to replace what is in the JSS.

chriscollins
Valued Contributor

@donmontalvo it may be overkill (i would disagree though) but our small team of Mac IT guys in our organization use a private repo on BitBucket and we use GIT to track our code changes for scripts and for our in house apps we build.

I use GIT even for my own local projects that I don't share with anyone and has proven invaluable at helping me with testing new ideas, etc.

donmontalvo
Esteemed Contributor III

@chriscollins Not overkill at all, we're actually discussing using GIT to track scripts - already using it to track other things. Great idea!

--
https://donmontalvo.com