VMware Fusion 11.0.2 osascript prompt

Cayde-6
Release Candidate Programs Tester

Hi All,
I've installed VMware Fusion 11.0.2, my MDM pushes out an Approved Kernel Extension Profile so I do not need to approve any Gatekeeper prompts, it also pushes out a Privacy payload to allow Accessibility for VMware Fusion.

When VMware Fusion launches I get the Select Install method screen followed by the below

“osascript“ wants access to control “System Events“. Allowing control will provide access to documents and data in “System Events“, and to perform actions within that app.

I've tried allowing VMware access to System Events via Privacy Payload but it does not work

Has anyone else run into this?

14 REPLIES 14

sshort
Valued Contributor

@Cayde-6 I'm not sure how VMWare configured their app, but if the PPPC prompt says osascript wants to control System Events, then your profile should include an AppleEvent for osascript to control System Events.

Here's a good post on reading TCC logs to hunt down what you may need to include in a profile for VMWare.

donmontalvo
Esteemed Contributor III

We're getting ready to deploy VMware Fusion 11 Pro (yay volume license!) so this is coming up for us too.

Jamf provides an additional TCC profile to address a similar issue with their Jamf tools:

https://github.com/jamf/JamfPrivacyPreferencePolicyControlProfiles

Not sure if that means VMware needs to provide their own, we're not ready to open tickets with them yet.

--
https://donmontalvo.com

rpayne
Contributor II

@Cayde-6 How are you deploying VMWare 11? I am getting ready to deploy, but have recently moved to a volume license and VMWare's preferred method involves a mpkg

donmontalvo
Esteemed Contributor III

@rpayne unfortunately retooling their workflow would be a PITA and we haven't had a problem with it (not an MPKG btw, but a bundle PKG).

Creating a VMware Fusion mass deployment package (2058680).

Pull the PKG from the app bundle:

69a6d0ed4758481898f6c6f3c37c4861

Show contents of the PKG, and drop a copy of VMware Fusion.app and the Deploy.ini (after editing it so it has your volume license), upload the MPKG to Jamf Pro, it'll get zip'd and can be deployed.

31b54c00ee104517899fa3aa33944fa8

They let you drop virtual machines the same way, drop the virtual machine into the "00" folder...if you like pain...

--

rpayne
Contributor II

@Cayde-6 What is the team-ID for Vmware?

Cayde-6

@rpayne I've got EG7KH642X6

rpayne
Contributor II

@Cayde-6 Thank you very much. I think I'm at the same level now. Did you ever resolve you original issue? I got everything else working except the osascript issue that you originally mentioned.

Cayde-6

@rpayne No, still stuck at that problem. Nobody on the VMware forum seems to care......

rpayne
Contributor II

@Cayde-6 That's what I'm finding. Pretty frustrating.

donmontalvo
Esteemed Contributor III

From VMware engineering, in case it is helpful:

The issue is that the MDM cannot push out the osascript prompt and his attempt to allow VMware access to System Events via Privacy Payload does not work. According to the attached screenshot "TCC whitelist.png", Fusion access System Events via /usr/bin/osascript, so in TCC.db it is "/usr/bin/osascript" that access System Events, not Fusion, I would suggest to try allowing /usr/bin/osascript access to System Events in Privacy Preferences Policy Control Payload.
--

kmathern
New Contributor III

I'm getting an error when installing vmware fusion 11. I created the package like vmware said but when installing I get this message below and I can't figure it out.
Installing Deploy VMware Fusion.mpkg.zip...
Installation failed. The installer reported: installer: Package name is Deploy VMware Fusion
installer: Installing at base path /
installer: The install failed (The Installer encountered an error that caused the installation to fail. Contact the software manufacturer for assistance.)

Macintosh_HD
New Contributor

@kmathern, I had the same issues with 11.0.3 but I was able to get it to work with 11.0.2.

Installation failed. The installer reported: installer: Package name is Deploy VMware Fusion installer: Installing at base path / installer: The install failed (The Installer encountered an error that caused the installation to fail. Contact the software manufacturer for assistance.)
Successfully installed VMwareFusion_v11.02.mpkg.zip.

naya
New Contributor II

VMware Fusion 11 :

I get the error "could not open /dev/vmmon: Broken Pipe" Team ID EG7KH642X6. I've created a config profile and i've added as approved kernels the ones from the Kext Team spreadsheet. The majority of the users are able to work with Fusion as fine. However i have a couple of users who get the Broken pipe error.
Any ideas?

adam_macy1
New Contributor II

Had a similar issue when deploying VirtualBox. VMware 11.5.0 seems to have added a new KEXT which just needs to be added to your KEXT Allows Configuration Profile: com.vmware.kext.vmioplug.18.7.0.