VMware Fusion Self Service Plugin?

jmb03012
New Contributor III

Anyone have any information about this plugin at the bottom?

https://jamfnation.jamfsoftware.com/viewProduct.html?id=26&view=info

@donmontalvo looks like maybe you created?

8 REPLIES 8

jwojda
Valued Contributor II

4f46d815ff1a4d56b25859a1d29ac097
hmm, interesting.

lionelgruenberg
New Contributor III

@jmb03012 Fairly certain this plugin was created by JAMFs Dev team to show off what can be accomplished using a SS plugin. Check out the CFBundleIdentifier key in info.plist inside the VMware Plugin bundle. If my memory serves me right you're asked to deploy this plugin to all managed clients in the CCA class.

FritzsCorner
Contributor III

This is interesting. As far as I can tell, it adds shortcuts to launch VM's that are local to the system. Additionally, when enabled the plugin only seems to show up on systems that have VMware installed.

jmb03012
New Contributor III

@lionelgruenberg I thought maybe JAMF created it, but when I contacted my account manager he said he shows no record of it in their internal stuff (not to say that thats the end all be all, but thats why I figured I'd ask on here as well).

@FritzsCorner thats what I'm seeing as well, kind of like a revamped GUI to launching VMWare first, I guess its kind of useful, but nothing earth shattering. I was wondering if there was maybe something else to it that I was missing since it does say "manage machines inside self service".

milesleacy
Valued Contributor

I say this without fear of speaking out of turn, as it is something I spoke of publicly for years and it is factual...

To expand on @lionelgruenberg's correct recollection, the VMWare Fusion, Parallels, and CrashPlan Self Service plug-in bundles were built by JAMF Software as proof-of-concept examples of what one can do with a Self Service plug-in.

The intention is that a developer capable of building a Safari plug-in can build a Self Service plug-in. To date, I have not seen any community-built plug-ins that I am at liberty to share details of. That said, if you have created a useful Self Service plug-in, I would, and I'm sure others in the community would be interested in seeing what you've come up with.

FritzsCorner
Contributor III
I have not seen any community-built plug-ins that I am at liberty to share details of.

@milesleacy You just piqued my interest. :) Without sharing any details, have you seen anything useful or amazing?

milesleacy
Valued Contributor

@FritzsCorner not that that I am at liberty to share, sorry

donmontalvo
Esteemed Contributor III

Responding late to this thread. I may have updated the VMWare Fusion product page. No knowledge of the SS plugin.

--
https://donmontalvo.com