VPP apps not updating on iPad's

TGarrod
New Contributor II

I've installed Zoom via VPP on several iPad's.  Recently got a call that the customer stated they were required to update Zoom.  When they went to the App Store to update they got this message:  "Zoom cannot be updated because it was refunded or purchased with a different Apple ID".  This customer was not signed into a Apple ID.  I was under the impression that since it was "purchased" via VPP, that it wouldn't need an Apple ID associated in order to update.

How does everyone else update non-Apple apps on iPad's that were installed via VPP?

Thanks for any help in advance.

8 REPLIES 8

ShinySasquatch
New Contributor

similar issues but with Zoom Room controller app. We have it as a VPP but it doesn't update like it should in single app mode.

Everything is set to auto update, doesn't work.

Force update app out of Single app mode. Doesn't work.

Restart the device after an update. Hit or miss.

Thanks for the info.

I'm going to reach out to support and see what they say.

sakul
New Contributor III

Any progress?

So our app is locked in SAM. Automatic updates or even forced updates won't work in JAMF (according to support). What I do now is switch the SAM to another app (Safari. I can change the setting that disable all touch on the ipads for this too), force the update for Zoom, then switch it back after about an hour. Usually run it on friday afternoons. Working on getting that automated so I don't need to do it but baby steps.

TGarrod
New Contributor II

Submitted a ticket to JAMF support, but still waiting on resolution.

mmiller1
New Contributor

I too would be interested in the resolution. I am having the same problem with a different APP.  My resolution to this point is to wipe the iPad to factory settings and start again.  Thanks in advance.

I just wanted to pass along my resolution to the issue I was having thanks to JAMF support.  It was discovered that I had two (2) APN certificates created using two (2) different email addresses.  The one email address was the VPP, however the second email address was not associated with the VPP.  I am not sure how this happened but figure I created a second one in the past and then just kept renewing both certificates.  I will have to erase and start fresh with the devices that were tied to the APN that was not associated with my VPP.  I was very grateful to Jamf support and the diligence to resolve this issue for me as it certainly was not straight forward nor had anything to do with their service in the end.  Thanks JAMF!

Ryan-RL
New Contributor

A resolution we implemented for these issues was to enable Self-Service and have the app available to reinstall from there. It does not wipe out config of the app which helps. Still requires user intervention but hoping to get a better update process for apps that need to be updated constantly.