VPP invitation received far to quickly

Malcolm
Contributor II

There is a workflow issue with the vpp invitation process.

Scenario.
DEP prestaged device, with user login required to setup...
Fresh out of the box ipad, First time ipad user.

User has created an icloud account through setup of the ipad.
user is then instructed to complete their details in for the app store / itunes

with first use accounts, they are prompted to review and enter their account information for billing purposes for the itunes account.

VPP invitation initiates in front of the reviewing of the account. Disrupts the review process and the vpp invitation.

I suspect this is an issue with Apple specifically, there is unlikely a way for Apple to indicate if the account is still under review, for casper/jss to acknowledge it is not time to send the invitation.

Its not that it cannot be worked around, but it does disrupt the user experience, and create problems for IT. But I suspect there is nothing jamf can do but work with apple to fix it?

Personally I would like to do away with the vpp push notification, and have it appear as a web clip, when the account is recognised as N/A or FALSE. I suspect this would fix the problem.

3 REPLIES 3

dwenger
Release Candidate Programs Tester

Because of the type of scenario you're describing and the proclivity for users to blindly accept or reject prompts, I have opted to only use email invitations for VPP invites. It has kept our related support incidents minimal and easy to resolve. If someone does report an issue, we direct them to the invitation in their inbox. If they have deleted the invitation, we just resend it to them.

CairoJXP
Contributor

You can also just have them access the invitation through self-service if they close the prompt by accident, it's fairly easy.

dwenger
Release Candidate Programs Tester

+1 for @CairoJXP's advice. I recently noticed the added option of making the invite available in Self Service and have switched our invites to push notification & Self Service.