VPP Migrating from redemption codes to managed distribution

Wakko
Contributor II

Finally, so when can we expect this integration on the JSS.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT6015?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US

15 REPLIES 15

burnettb
New Contributor

Probably tomorrow, lol! They are pretty good with the timeliness of their updates.

Wakko
Contributor II

I hopes so, very curious about testing it out. THIS is what I've been waiting for.

dgreening
Valued Contributor II

Not much use to us as most of our iPads are in Configurator managed carts, however, this will be great for assigning software to staff.

CasperSally
Valued Contributor II

I'm hoping to manage classroom carts with this method as well.

The choice between a centralized MDM deployment of apps versus several small local Configurator databases is an easy one for me.

We'll see how it goes.

dgreening
Valued Contributor II

From what my Apple rep says, the new assignable (and revokable) licenses are based on assigning them to iTunes accounts, and its one license per iTunes account. They are still pushing the redemption code method for cart management. Hopefully pushing out VPP code enabled Apps will improve when OTA supervision becomes a reality.

Otto
New Contributor

I just heard that they may have the managed distribution feature enabled in version 9.3. We need it now. I have over 25,000 apps to deploy (Pages, Numbers, Keynote, iPhoto, and iMovie) to our 1:1 student iPads and don't really want to do this until the feature is ready. I may have to consider using Maverick server to do this now.I thought it would be available in 9.22. I've refuse to commit to Apple Configurator any longer. We used this to deploy apps to all of our teacher iPads. This was not a good choice for us. Teachers couldn't update the organization issued apsp because we could not give them the main iTunes account password that Configurator uses. Just too much to manage. I'm trying to get all of the redemption codes back from Apple so I can redistribute them using the new managed distribution model.

TimMac721
New Contributor

Any anticipation when 9.3 will be available? assuming that this feature would be present, it is something that is important to me in the next coming week or so...

Otto
New Contributor

I was told by JAMF that 9.3 should be in beta around the 1st week in February (2014). I am working on getting the Beta installed in our environment. We need the solution in place now. That's the best they could give me.

lbuchanan
New Contributor

As a customer, I feel the wait on this feature release has been WAY TOO long. Apple made this available in November and it is now mid-February. The fact that we are still waiting is inexcusable in my opinion. :-( I finally broke down and submitted a request to Apple to have all the managed licenses that I purchased (back in November) converted back to codes--which doesn't make me very happy. I am seriously going to consider other MDM solutions in the future if this is how long it's going to take for very important and necessary features to be developed and released. :-( Please excuse the rant...just really unhappy with the long wait.

mpittcasd
Contributor

I completely agree with lbuchanan. We should be getting emails about the beta of 9.3 after so long, especially for the managed apps since a lot of us use these in educational settings.

dgreening
Valued Contributor II

This new functionality doesn't really add anything to the shared use model. This is clearly targeted at one-to-one roll-outs where every user is assigned an iPad and has an individual iTunes account with which to install assigned Apps. Can't say that I am surprised, as Apple's focus for iOS has been clearly on individual use deployments. Configurator is still the way we need to manage our iPads, unfortunately.

CasperSally
Valued Contributor II

@dgreening - there isn't anything clearly stated about shared use model, but there may be a way to make it work I'm told by Apple. We'll see. I'm not in a position to be ready to test the beta yet.

CasperSally
Valued Contributor II

@dgreening - there isn't anything clearly stated about shared use model, but there may be a way to make it work I'm told by Apple. We'll see. I'm not in a position to be ready to test the beta yet.

mcdermk
New Contributor

@dgreening- we are planning on using Casper to manage our carts. We will be creating an generic iTunes account for each device. Luckily we have carts of 30 for each school and the Technical Assistant will be creating the accounts, so it will be cumbersome but not too overwhelming. Once that is done it should work, per our Apple Rep.

BK
New Contributor III

@Echevarria Correct me if I'm wrong but Isn't this already implemented now? Is there a particular feature that is still missing? Thanks!