VPP through ASM and remaining licenses on JSS

Gern
New Contributor III

Greetings! I just had apple walk me through converting over to the Apple School Manager change from VPP portal. Everything seemed to go smooth but now when I look on Jamf at devices>mobile device apps it has 0 remaining on all of our apps. Looking on the ASM it has all of them. I am sure that is a user error and I forgot to upload a token or something or possibly a sneaky location I need to check somewhere. I was wondering if anyone could point me in the right direction or has run into this before. Cheers

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Gern
New Contributor III

I am an idiot. I went in to the app itself through Mobile Apps and had to switch the VPP accounts to the new one. Just had to type the above reply out so I could read it.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

m_donovan
Contributor III

We are running JamfPro 10.3.1 and recently did the ASM change as well. However, all of our apps both mobile and computer show purchased, in use, and remaining correctly. We made no changes to JamfPro at all during the change from DEP/VPP portals to ASM. What Jamf version are you on?

Gern
New Contributor III

10.4.1 I tried adding the location VPP token from ASM as a second token and will phase out the VPP portal one when summer school ends and I can revoke the apps and just use the ASM. I can see the Total Purchased but it says Total in Use 0. Ack. It is most likely the userest of errors.

Gern
New Contributor III

I am an idiot. I went in to the app itself through Mobile Apps and had to switch the VPP accounts to the new one. Just had to type the above reply out so I could read it.

m_donovan
Contributor III

Glad you got it working.

Timothy
New Contributor

We are planning to migrate from a single VPP account to ASM Apps and Books. We currently deploy apps through device-based assignment. Were there any disruptions to users during this process? Does the migration cause any issues such as apps not working or being uninstalled from user devices? I appreciate any feedback from those who have already completed this migration.

cdenesha
Valued Contributor II

I am still in the planning stages, but have asked questions of Jamf and Apple.

Prior to your conversion, be sure to read the section 'If assigned licenses don't transfer' of this Apple Support article.

When you convert your one VPP account to your unique Location, all Unassigned and Assigned licenses will transfer to ASM. In addition, according to Apple Enterprise Support, the legacy token will convert to a Location based token, so no token uploading is required in MDM.

Timothy
New Contributor

From your understanding, will teachers and students notice anything on their devices during this process or will it all just happen in the background with no noticeable impact on current users? Thanks!

cdenesha
Valued Contributor II

From my understanding, it'll be seamless and will not affect the iPads at all. Every app will retain scope, and the license count will be the same. Even if it briefly drops to 0 and then back, this should not remove apps that are still in scope (If I understand correctly, license checking is done only at install).