VPP Token Linked to MDM

rfrance
New Contributor

Can anyone tell me where I need to upload the token to the MDM so we can use the Managed Distribution of Apps and Books?

Thanks

14 REPLIES 14

CasperSally
Valued Contributor II

New version of Casper coming out reportedly soon will allow this.

njwinter
New Contributor II

Hoping for an update on this soon. Has any ETA been mentioned?

CairoJXP
Contributor

When we downloaded the token for an app with managed licenses, I went to the following place to upload it:

MOBILE DEVICES >> MANAGEMENT SETTINGS >> GLOBAL MANAGEMENT >> VPP ACCOUNTS
There I created the profile accordingly and uploaded the token.

Hope that helps!

aemma
New Contributor

Then what?
I have used the DEP but the VPP has me stumped. I bought my VPP codes and uploaded the Token to JSS. Now what the heck can I do to roll these apps out!? I can't find any instructions and I'm desperate...HELP!

CairoJXP
Contributor

So you upload the token in the VPP accounts.

1. You then have to send out invitations to the devices/users you want.
  2. Then go to VPP Assignment and create a profile for the app to be pushed out. In doing so, first select the VPP account you want when in the "general" piece under the OPTION tab and choose the VPP account you just created. Then choose APP and select the app you want to push out.
  3. Finally choose the scope you want the app to go to.

Note that it may take some time for the APP to show up in the VPP assignments with the number of licenses you bought, but it should do it automatically in time.

Hope that helps!

aemma
New Contributor

OK..I'm not crazy...I'm definitely missing the "VPP ASSIGNMENTS" option entirely. Where SHOULD that be?

CairoJXP
Contributor

My bad. VPP Assignments and Invitations are under the Users tab at the top next to Mobile Devices.

aemma
New Contributor

Oh sweet merciful crap...I never even looked there. Thank you very much!!

CairoJXP
Contributor

Yeah, doesn't make a lick of sense how they organized this VPP stuff. Should've had it under mobile devices or just its own tab. Enjoy the smart groups! those can be tricky with choosing criteria to make a group. Let me know if you need info on that.

david_yenzer
Contributor II

bump This thread helped me out. Many thanks, folks.

joalah
New Contributor II

If you have five paid apps in your VPP assignment how do you scope out each individual app to different groups? I scoped the assignment out to the whole school and then in the app catalog scoped it out to the different groups but it keeps taking the scope from the assignment not the app catalog....

david_yenzer
Contributor II

That sounds like what is happening to us. My next question (on another thread) is:

For apps to be installed without an account, is it a requirement that they have been purchased with the MDM method from VPP? And not purchased via the spreadsheet method?

It seems to work for some of our Notability apps (though giving fits on other ipads). For Notability we have 500 licenses for MDM plus another 1000+ previously purchased via spreadsheets. Most of our other apps have previously only been purchased with spreadsheets that have since been uploaded to JSS.

If we have to back and repurchase apps via the MDM method to work, that may not be ideal at the moment and we may have to tell folks to continue logging in with their cart Apple ID.

Damien_Austin
New Contributor

So I have a similar issue I guess.

We have access to two JAMF servers. One for the State of Maine MLTI program and another for our own privately purchased devices.

The MLTI JAMF / JSS has an icon in Settings >> Global Settings that says "VPP Accounts" this is where you enter the VPP token for the account used to purchase the VPP managed distribution licenses. It works just fine.

On ours we do not get that option the is no "VPP Accounts" option in Global Settings... It appears if all we can do is enter the VPP codes when we add an App in Mobile Devices >> Apps. The problem with VPP codes is that they are gone once they are used one time. You can't pull back an app once it's on the device. Or at least that's how it seems.

That's why I was hoping to set up managed distribution. That would allow me to apply X copies of whatever app to the VPP account and then use JAMF to scope it to the individual devices I want to have access to it. That way if a device fails or gets restored I can just un-scope the app from that device and re-scope it to another.

SO, to get to my real question. How can I get JAMF to use Managed Distribution using a designated VPP account? I really dislike the codes option.

Thanks in advance.

Damien_Austin
New Contributor

So, update to my own post. Talked with JAMF support for a long while and figured out that our Users section was not working the way it should. According to JAMF support I just need to fix my user accounts in order for that VPP Accounts icon to show. When I click the users tab at the top all I get is an option that says "Migrate Users." When I click that it start loading and says "This may take a while," so I wait and wait, but it seems to just hang at that screen. Chances are I am just going to wipe the Users and start fresh by uploading the .csv with the devices / user assignments. I'll keep posting results. Here is what was emailed back to me.

1.) Start with a database backup. I am not sure of the integrity of the database after cancelling and restarting that process.

1. ) Rather than csv could we populate the User field inside the devices? Reason I ask is it seems just as tedious to do this by csv than to enter manually

3.) Migrating the Users would be the next step. I can imagine the reason why this is hanging currently is outlined here:

https://jamfnation.jamfsoftware.com/article.html?id=362

4.) Once these conflicts are ironed out we should be able to go through the VPP token import process outlined on Page 92 of the following document:

http://resources.jamfsoftware.com/documents/products/documentation/Casper-Suite-9.81-Administrators-Guide.pdf

Here is a bit on device based VPP:

http://www.jamfsoftware.com/resources/the-casper-suite-and-vpp-device-based-app-assignment/