warm daemon

notjason
New Contributor

What is it? There are few non-spam google results. Doubtlessly this thread will become one of them.

33970fbb314043389ee0e8b4091ea215

This seems like the place to ask an esoteric question like this.

P.S. How can I disable safari? I don't want any other app spawning safari. I have already set another browser as default and a hate safari with a deep, firery passion -- despite having recently purchased a macbook pro.

2 REPLIES 2

mikeh
Contributor II

From the man page:

warmd controls caches used during startup and login. It is not meant to be invoked directly.

I also found this:

While performing this work, warmd also listens for warming requests from its associated launch agent, warmd_agent. warmd will wait for such requests for a little while after its launch to help the case of a user booting to the login UI and login a little while later. The maximum wait is 10min today.

The way I'm interpreting this, "warming" requests sound like macOS pre-loading applications based on what's been used in the past, so they launch faster for the user.

Not particularly helpful, but it's a normal system process that probably shouldn't be disabled.

mikeh
Contributor II

Regarding Safari: I'm not totally sure that Safari can be disabled in the sense that you can remove it and it will never be invoked. It's protected by SIP, so it can't be deleted at all on 10.11 and newer. Also, note that Safari can be viewed as an "advanced" wrapper around WebKit, and you definitely cannot disable WebKit, nor change an application from using WebKit.

AFAIK all you can really do is set your default browser, and try not to grind your teeth when an application doesn't respect your default browser.