Web Shortcut For Mac in Dock As a policy or deployable PKG?

jclark27
New Contributor III

Hey all!

What sort of solutions do folks use if they want to take a simple shortcut to a webpage, add an icon to it, and place it in the dock through either a policy or PKG?

We want some felxibility over how we deploy it and while I have used Dockutil/Profile creator and the web clips option as a config profile in JAMF...i've been wondering if there was a way we can deploy via policy or even standalone PKG, and without having to deploy it with a third-party app like dockutil.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

geoff_widdowson
Contributor II

I create a webloc file with the web address (link below). This should be copied to your applications folder and on your dock. I package the file in Composer for later deployment. In Jamf Admin I create a dock item. Then the policy installs the pkg and dock item. I tried using webclips but could not get them to work as desired.

I've only used dockutils to remove dock icons but you dont need it to deploy using the method above.

How to create a webloc file: https://appleinsider.com/articles/18/05/15/how-to-add-bookmarks-for-your-favorite-websites-to-the-macos-dock#:~:text=To%20create%20a%20Webloc%20file,drag%20it%20onto%20the%20desktop.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

geoff_widdowson
Contributor II

I create a webloc file with the web address (link below). This should be copied to your applications folder and on your dock. I package the file in Composer for later deployment. In Jamf Admin I create a dock item. Then the policy installs the pkg and dock item. I tried using webclips but could not get them to work as desired.

I've only used dockutils to remove dock icons but you dont need it to deploy using the method above.

How to create a webloc file: https://appleinsider.com/articles/18/05/15/how-to-add-bookmarks-for-your-favorite-websites-to-the-macos-dock#:~:text=To%20create%20a%20Webloc%20file,drag%20it%20onto%20the%20desktop.

jclark27
New Contributor III

@geoff.widdowson Man it has been a minute since I've even messed with weblocs, that helped a ton! Took that and packaged it with a little post install script to put it on the dock and it's working great.

I was originally doing a little automator workflow but this made it much simpler and quicker to create. Thanks!

user-1011
New Contributor

@jclarke27 how did you package up the webloc? Could you post your script?

Hey Im not sure how he Packaged them up but this is how I did it:

1) Followed the link from above and exported the links

2) Created a folder and put then in the applications folder with the desired links

3) Created a package with that Folder 

Screen Shot 2021-08-27 at 10.04.50 AM.png

Now I just need to find a way to out that fold on the dock. 

Hope that helps, let me know if you all know a way to add it to the dock. I'll derp around with dockutil for a bit.

You setup the Dock Items using Jamf Admin. With the Dock icons you want setup, open Jamf Admin and 'Add Dock Items' from the top. You should be able to pick ones it finds. Create a Dock Item for each and save Jamf Admin when finished. Now you just use a Jamf policy to deploy the Dock item after you after deployed your Dock Items package.

Wow thank you for the fast reply! I am going to give that a try.

Hi, thanks for the informative post, the only thing i am battling with is to get Jamf Admin to see the webloc file, so as to turn it into a dock icon

Did you have any luck?

The device you are running Jamf Admin must have the icon already on the dock, otherwise you will not be able to create the icon in Jamf Admin. So not only does the webloc have to be in the Applications  folder, but on the dock.

Thanks, figured that out about 2 min before you replied. 

but thanks again for the speedy response