So we have our fleet of printers being deployed using Self Service using lpadmin and some other dmg files being pushed out.
I have noticed a bizarre occurrence with a couple of OSX Users (Both on 10.10 I believe). We recently upgraded out print server and had a Cname dns entry pointed to it. Once the upgrade was complete we pointed the CName to the new server.
A couple users cannot print and get a "Hold for Authentication" which we normal fix by simply running:
sudo sh -c 'echo "Sandboxing Relaxed" >> /etc/cups/cups-files.conf'
sudo launchctl stop org.cups.cupsd
sudo cupsctl DefaultAuthType=Negotiate
I found out that if I use the servers FQDN when connecting, instead of the DNS CName, it works fine and without issue. So there is something screwy going on here and I am not quite sure what it is.
We were seeing the a similar issue. They could print fine one time, then it would just break for certain machines. We fixed it by adding
ip domain-name your.domain.com
to our cisco switches. This would automatically add the FQDN and the machine would print. Still haven't found an appropriate fix on a machine level. Also only seeing this on wireless clients.