What to know - JSS - New comer

saranrajappa
New Contributor

Hi Friends, we are evaluating JSS for managing Max OS and can someone please help with the below,
1. How to download Casper client/agent and make part of image (thought process here is image will have OS X 10.10.3 + Casper client. Once Image in the network, Casper policies will remediate to company approved image by applying required hardening policies and agents like encase, McAfee, office 365 etc.)
2. How to import pre-created computer objects from ADDS into Casper suite for creating smart groups?
3. What are the ADDS attributes are imported to Casper JSS?
4. Is there a way to import custom created ADDS attribute/s for computers and users into JSS
5. How to change JSS management agent account for clients?
6. Is it possible to give option to end user for restart prompts? Example: After applying OS or application patch, a display message to all logged in users to restart computer with the option of delaying restart (postponing) to x hours and remind in x hours
7. When we have more than one distribution points, How the clients will find the nearest DP?
8. If we have one JSS server, hosting all the required roles (like Web, App, DB and DP), what are options to recover the server in case of any failure?
9. In the above case, what will not be recovered? And to be re-created?
10. What the ways a report can be shared with other in JSS?
11. How to share reports to end users?

Thank you JAMF Nation!

1 REPLY 1

davidacland
Honored Contributor II
Honored Contributor II

Hi,

Only short responses I'm afraid but here's my comments:

1. Casper imaging does this as part of the imaging workflow automatically
  2. Create a quickadd package using Recon and install on the clients
  3. What is ADDS?
  4. Same as 3.
  5. In the devices inventory record
  6. Yes, this is a Casper policy option
  7. Each client is set to have a specified DP, which you can override if necessary
  8. JAMF include a MySQL DB backup tool. You then just need to backup any log files, the DP data and the MySQL backups using your current backup software. The tomcat webapps don't really need to be backed up unless you have put logs or keystrokes in there
  9. The only thing I can think of is SSL cert for the JSS possible needing to be be re-enabled / configured, but I can't be 100% sure about that. The MySQL, log files, SSL keystore and DPs will contain everything you need for a full recovery
  10. You can export data as CSV, TXT or XML from the inventory. You used to be able to create custom PDF reports but I can't see that option at the moment
  11. Once you've exported the data you want you can share by any means you have available

Hope this helps.