when Macs are not logged into and/or sleeping what is going on?

tcandela
Valued Contributor II

are policies (if any) being performed, check-in etc... for macs (iMacs,mbpros,mbairs) while the compute is sleeping? and also if the macs are just at the login window?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

davidacland
Honored Contributor II
Honored Contributor II

If they are asleep (AFAIK) no check-ins or policies will be happening. At the login window, any policies triggered by recurring check-in will run.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

davidacland
Honored Contributor II
Honored Contributor II

If they are asleep (AFAIK) no check-ins or policies will be happening. At the login window, any policies triggered by recurring check-in will run.

jhalvorson
Valued Contributor

Exception about at the login window stage: Depending on how WiFi is configured, the device might not be on the network until after user logs in. When a user logs off the device, the network connection could disconnect too.

jrippy
Contributor II

I was actually wondering about this the other day. Could JamF take advantage of PowerNap perhaps once a day or something to check for policies even if asleep.
Also if would be great if we had some way to run policies while a user is logged out. And I don't mean the on logout trigger. Rather, on recurring check in, have an event that only runs at loginwindow. I have needed that at times before.

mm2270
Legendary Contributor III

If I'm not mistaken there is a feature request here asking if JAMF could take advantage of App Nap to run some basic management stuff, like at least update inventory. I don't know much about the inner workings of App Nap. I'm not sure if its something only Apple has access to right now, meaning only App Store and software update can use it, or if 3rd party developers can tap into it. It would be pretty cool if so, but of course a network connection of some kind would still be required.

Pascal_Sherman
New Contributor

I'm pretty sure it is possible because Cisco Jabber does it by accident. Current versions of Jabber wake up and go online when powernap checks in. Not sure what exactly triggers this but should be possible.