Why do icons duplicate in Self Service?

ctangora
Contributor III

So when you duplicate a policy in Self Service, the icons get duplicated in the database. It isn't a reference back to the original icon, it is an new entry and takes up more space in the DB and in the icon selection page.

I brought this up with JAMF and they say it isn't a bug, but rather a feature request https://jamfnation.jamfsoftware.com/featureRequest.html?id=169.

So my question is, how many people like it implemented this way?

Now I will shamelessly plug my feature request...

I started a feature request to modify this, if you find yourself looking at 10 copies of Flash Player in your icon repository, please help fix this by voting up feature request 1244, https://jamfnation.jamfsoftware.com/featureRequest.html?id=1244.

... end plugging.

2 REPLIES 2

mm2270
Legendary Contributor III
I brought this up with JAMF and they say it isn't a bug, but rather a feature request

I know it was a feature request to have icons stored in the db so they can be selected again, but I find it highly unlikely someone requested every icon to be duplicated when duping a policy. Why would anyone want that? I think someone is confused about what the actual feature request asked for. They gave us the ability to select existing uploaded icons when making new policies, but I think they went a little too far. Since every icon used for any policy shows up on that selection screen, I have to assume there is a database field or section that stores just the icons outside of the policies themselves, Given this, why would it not work to just link to that main icon in the store instead of storing it inside the policy somehow when it gets duplicated? Doesn't seem to make much sense to me.

ctangora
Contributor III

I agree.

The database table that the icons are stored under is "attachments". And each duplicated icon is the exact same, except for the id (key value). Then there is a separate table that assigns the attachment ID to the policy, but I forget which table that is.