Why do some computers in jamf drop the minor Operating System Version

Rich_C
New Contributor III

Can anyone explain why do some computers in Jamf drops the minor Operating System Version.

ie.  If I have two M3 computers with macOS 14.7.0 build (23H124)
One show in Jamf as 14.7 and the other shows as 14.7.0 

We have seen this for many minor releases and help in fixing this anomaly would be appreciated as it messes up our reporting. 

6 REPLIES 6

jamf-42
Valued Contributor II

Used build version. This issue has been around for ages

rayjd1650
New Contributor II

DDM reports it one way and the Jamf binary reports it the other way. The binary is adding a trailing zero.

Shyamsundar
New Contributor

One comes from the inventory submission by recon and the other comes from DDM, 

you can see the status on Management history, Device information 

Rich_C
New Contributor III

So, I looked into DDM and I created an inventory report to see which computers have Declarative Device Management (DDM) Enabled.  They all are enabled so I would expect the same results of the OS Minor versions on the computers.  Could it be something else?

rayjd1650
New Contributor II

No, it is certainly DDM vs binary. If you look in the Hardware and Software History of a device, you will see it switch back and forth. It's just a matter of when the DeclarativeManagement command is sent vs when an inventory update occurs.
Screenshot 2024-10-09 at 9.15.23 AM.png

AY
New Contributor

Four months ago, I had asked support about this. It was a known product issue with no known timeframe on a fix. 

I have not actually seen this cause an issue with a smart or static group in my experience at the very least.