Yosemite as a gateway, where is NAT?!

paulfox
New Contributor

Hello:

I was referred here by an Apple employee in hopes that I could resolve an issue I'm having.

I am using an OS X server as a gateway as well as a server and when I upgraded to Yosemite I learned that NAT was no longer part of the sever suite.

I want to upgrade for a number of reasons but I need a failsafe instruction on what to do. I know NAT is still in the OS somewhere but it doesn't work through BSD configuration walk throughs, and I haven't had any success with ipfw or other firewall based walk throughs.

I'm frustrated and lost.

Thank you for your time.

6 REPLIES 6

jjones
Contributor II

Odd link to find a answer, but it makes sense:

https://www.facebook.com/linuxmasterdotro/posts/1520350381566910

paulfox
New Contributor

Thank you. I'll set it up today and let you know how it works.

He has a direct link too (non-fb).

https://linux-master.ro/operating-systems/nat-on-mac-osx-yosemite/

So I followed the steps in the walkthrough and got this response from the system instead of working network address translation.

No ALTQ support in kernel ALTQ related functions disabled pfctl: pf not enabled

I've searched the Internet looking for a solution for that issue and it seems that most of the solutions require a recompile of the kernel. Since I can't recompile the kernel, I'm not sure what to do now.

paulfox
New Contributor

So I'm wondering at this point, if it is even possible, without third party software, to even run an OSX server as a gateway anymore. There doesn't seem to be much more than dead ends and incomplete instructions, so far with 100% failure.

I know it's a slower option than a dedicated gateway. We aren't talking hours slower or a lot of traffic so it's moot.

Can anyone recommend a standalone gateway that isn't going to grief or balk at the osx server OR the cable modem/gateway that I do not want to surrender control to?

paulfox
New Contributor

anyone?

merps
Contributor III

@paulfox It's been a few years since I've set one of these up, but I've had very good luck with pfsense as a standalone firewall.

paulfox
New Contributor

Thanks @merps, I have ultimately decided to go with a pfsense standalone firewall. Eventually I'll splurge for the built to spec hardware too so I can have really, really fast connectivity. The reliability of the pfsense over the OS X option is night and day. I'm running it on an old mini I had laying around with a USB 10/100 dongle.

Thanks everyone for all the help you extended.