My Environment:
NetSuS with a 10.9.5 boot image
Casper 9.6.2
SMB DP

Image:
10.10.1 AutoDMG created dmg with updates applied, pretty basic
A user creation package

Hardware:
Macbook Pro 2013, not encrypted. Had a previous Casper image of 10.9.5.

Issue:
When I apply the configuration that only has the AutoDMG created dmg file, it block copies, installs, reboots but comes up to a grey screen with a Circle and Line through it. I've come across this before, but only when i've had PRAM issues or laid an image down to hardware that doesn't support it. Resetting the PRAM temporarily removes the circle and replaces it with an Apple but it comes back.

Questions:
Do I need to boot to 10.10 to image 10.10?
Has anyone run into this?
How are you imaging your 10.10 machines?

Thanks in advance!

5 REPLIES 5

Mike4
New Contributor III

We were having exactly same issue with 10.9.x NB image, Casper 9.62 and SMB dp's, hosted on OS X server 10.9.5.

We built a new 10.10.1 Netboot image and have successfully built 300 lab machines with 10.10.1 so far.

calumhunter
Valued Contributor

i've restored 10.10.1 from 10.9 netboot servers no probs.
using deploy studio though.

maybe have a look at this post about corestorage volumes, doesn't sound exactly like you issue but might be related
https://macmule.com/2015/01/02/casper-imaging-corestorage-volumes/

davidacland
Honored Contributor II
Honored Contributor II

We've deployed 10.10.1 images from 10.9 systems at a couple of sites ok (well 10.10.1 has its own problems but thats another thread).

The prohibitory sign at boot normally means the Mac has found a bootable OS, tried to start from it but the system is damaged somehow.

It wouldn't matter what OS you are running from when you deploy the image to the target drive, as long as the process runs ok.

You can probably assume the image is ok, but to check, take a copy of it and restore it to a target Mac with Disk Utility. If this works ok, it might be something in the casper configuration causing a problem.

geoffreykobrien
Contributor

The image restores fine with disk utility, this is really frustrating. I guess i'll have to refer to Jamf on this, ive made my rep aware of the issue.

davidacland
Honored Contributor II
Honored Contributor II

The only other thought (bit of a long shot), is the priority of the dmg set to 1 in the config? I've had odd issues if its set to anything else, even if it is the lowest priority number.

For one of our clients Casper imaging was deploying the image, then erasing the drive, then restarting. They had set it to a priority of 5.

If not it does sound like JAMF support would be a good route.