Yosemite/Mavericks Server and mobile accounts

dwoodfill
New Contributor III

Hello,

I have a 30 person company that is setup with mobile accounts talking back to OS X Server. It seems randomly I have a user that all of a sudden has a computer so slow it's unusable.
-Very slow login, sometimes 5 minutes, sometimes 30 minutes
-Once you're in everything you do beachballs
-The Mobile Sync has a ! in the menu bar and if I try to click to open the menu bar drop down the dropdown beachballs.
-Logout basically is not existent. If I logout it will start the process and get to a black screen with the visible cursor and will proceed no further.

I've now had 4 users experience these problems. 2 of them I've had to perform a full wipe/reinstall to get anywhere... and I'm currently working on the 2 others. Any ideas? Or should I just go to Backblaze or something similar for backup.

2 REPLIES 2

davidacland
Honored Contributor II
Honored Contributor II

I would switch off mobile home syncing and just set the users home to be in /Users.

Logins will be stable using OD/LDAP, its the home folder setup that will be causing the problems.

Using a backup program to protect the user data on the local machines is a good way to go.

dwoodfill
New Contributor III

Ya, we just have to go through red tape to authorize something else, It'd be nice if it just worked as it's supposed to.